cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deletion of Admin Share - IPC$

Gary_Ballance
Level 3
I'm having to issue the command on a remote server each day for the backup to work properly.
c:\ net share IPC$

Is there some process or something on the remote server that could be deleting the administrative share each day? The remote server is running Windows 2000 SP5. We have a backup process that starts at 2:15 am each morning. It's failing due to unable to attach to one of the drives.

I can issue the IPC$ command and run a backup at that time and it works fine. The next backp schedled for 9:15 pm runs okay but the one at 2:15 am bombs out. What could be causing the remote server to lose the administrative share?
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

"Unable to attach" This above error message can occur if the default administrative share IPC$ has been deleted.

The IPC$ share is used for interprocess communication with temporary connections between clients and servers by using named pipes for communication among network programs. It is primarily used to remotely administer network servers.

For more information on "default Administrative shares" please refer to the following Microsoft Article :
Overview of problems that may occur when administrative shares are missing
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842715

To resolve this issue the default administrative share IPC$ needs to be recreated by performing either one of the two steps below.

1) Create the IPC$ share on the remote server by running the following command from the command prompt

Net share IPC$
As you have executed the above mentioned command
have you restarted the server after that?

If no, Restart the Server service on the remote server or reboot it.

and verify the result.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gary_Ballance
Level 3
THanks. The net share IPC$ does reset the administrative share and I can do a backup. However, by the time our automated backup for the same file runs at 02:15 am the next morning, it fails again for the same reason. It appears that the share is being deleted or not staying active on the server and I'm having to run the command prompt command every day to get a backup.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Gary,

You may include these commands to activate the share in a pre job command in Backup exec job properties. That way the job will not fail. In the meanwhile you can check why the shares are being deleted.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.