cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed understanding of some options for restoring MS Exchange 2007 with BE 2010

Maze13
Level 2

Hello to all,

I have some questions about the Options for MS Exchange 2007-restore.

In the german version (the one we use) there is an option called: "database unload before restore". I want to restore the Mailbox-Database in the RSG and now I am wondering if the Original-, in-use-Database will be unloaded between the restore procedure. There are 2 other options "under" the first one: "reserve after restore" and "load after restore". What is the difference between "reserve" and "load" and with database/storage group is ment?

Thx for help!

Yours, Maze

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What it is going to do is dismount your Information Store BEFORE doing the restore. Not a problem to go this route if you don't mind your users having no access to mail during the IS dismount. Once it is done, it will remount the Information Store for you.

You will get more answers by downloading the BE 2010 Admin Guide from the link below, and going to pg. 1120.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77887

Tried to find a German version, but couldn't.

Let me know if this answers your query.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV

Hi,

What it is going to do is dismount your Information Store BEFORE doing the restore. Not a problem to go this route if you don't mind your users having no access to mail during the IS dismount. Once it is done, it will remount the Information Store for you.

You will get more answers by downloading the BE 2010 Admin Guide from the link below, and going to pg. 1120.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77887

Tried to find a German version, but couldn't.

Let me know if this answers your query.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Before you restore Exchange, you should dismount the databases that are being restored.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

And i think "Reserve after restore" and "load after restore" options are same as "Commit after restore completes" and "Mount Database After Restore".

CraigV

...no...if you read the Admin Guide, BE can also do this for you...not necessary to do this manually.

Anyways, it causes downtime, and if not needed, this is where BE's GRT restore comes in which allows direct, live restores into an Exchange Information Store. This is running from disk, from tape (although sometimes not too successfully), or after duplicating an Exchange backup from tape to disk...

That is the beauty of GRT restores...no need for downtime.

Maze13
Level 2

Thx for your comments,

I've already read the admin guide (in German) but i guess the german translation is just dump ;)

@Craig: mabye I have not pointed out enough my question ... The main thing I was wondering is: WHICH database will or must be unloaded before the restore, when I choose to restore in the Restore Storage Group (RSG) of Exchange 2007 --> do I really have to unload the original, in-use Database or is simply the Restore-Database in the RSG ment?

@Kiran Bandi: what exactly is done by "Commit after restore completes" in comparison to "Mount Database"?

Yours, Maze

CraigV

it is the 1 you restore too that would be dismounted. With GRT this isn't necessary though, as it can do it live.

Maze13
Level 2

Which sense does a RSG have when the original database must be unloaded during a restore, too?

I had the aim that I have a live environment (First Storage Group) and an environment with an old status quo (RSG) beside each other, so I can do EXMERGE or something else with the Database in the RSG while the original DB is still active.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Commit After Restore: Commits the last backup set if your selection contains the last backup set to be restored. This option directs the restore operation to replay the log files and roll back any uncompleted transactions. If this option is not selected, the database is left in an intermediate state and is not yet usable. This option is not applicable for snapshot backups.

Mount Database After Restore: Can select this option, only if Commit After Restore option is selected. Mounts the database so that it is available to users.

CraigV

hi maze,

pg 1123 of the Admin guide explains it is RSG and do live restores...give that section a read!

Maze13
Level 2

Ah, okay, "commit" (or better it's negotiation) is for inkremental or differential online-backups. Thx!

> This option is not applicable for snapshot backups.

option should be choosed or not? I would suppose "yes, should be"?!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you didn't did a snapshot backup, you can choose commit.

Otherwise commit option will not be available/enabled.