cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine free space on backup exec backup to disk

aetius
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm using backup to disk jobs with Symantec backup exec 2010 r3. Currently, to determine whether I have enough space available on the disk, I'm using the device view within symantec backup exec, clicking on all the overwritable/appendable media and then counting each row before multiplying by 4 (we currently backup in 4gb blocks).

This method is rather long winded and tedious, surely there must be a better solution?

Also, can someone explain the difference between B2D files and IMG files?

See attached screenshot file.

Thx

Dan

2 REPLIES 2

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

When you do backup of particular server like exchange for example on disk & in selection you select to backup all drives & exchange information store then it will create bkf file for data backed up for local drives & it will create Img folder for GRT backup done for exchange. So IMG folder only would be created only when you perform GRT backup of application like Exchange ,Sharepoint , Active directory etc.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A quick way to get the size of all your backups is to use the Windows Explorer and check the properties of the B2D folder this will give you the total size of all your backups to that folder at that moment.

The .bkf files are used for non-GRT backups like backups of flat files, system state, SQL databases, etc.,  The .img files are used when you backup something using GRT, like Exchange, etc.