Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff restore from tape and hdd

Yaroslav_Basenk
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Product Backup Exec 2010 r3

Hi all,

I did a full backup of a resource1 on Backup Exec server hard drive(hdd1) and duplicated the this job on the tape(tape1)

A few days later I did a differential backup  resource1 only to tape (tape2)

Now I need to do to restore
resource1 from differential backup. Restore job requires tapes tape1 + tape2.
How to make restore job
resource1 hdd1 + tape2?

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Need more info - is Resource1 a VMware Resource (Virtuaal Machine), a Database Resource (Exchange SQL etc) or a FIle System Resource (C: etc)

Yaroslav_Basenk
Level 2
Partner Accredited

In fact, a Resource1 is a group of servers that includes a  Virtual Machine, Database servers(SQL,Lotus), File Systems, File Shares, Active Directory Servers. 

hdd1- located on Backup Exec server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think we can write complete steps to in effect help you DR your whole environment as it would end up being a multipage eassy.

At a basic level there are differences between each resouce type that means the required steps vary and you should probably take each recource oen at a time an research or test how the restore works.

One major comment though is that even though your backup was one selection, the restore will have to be one server/one resource type at a time you cannot just recover the complete environment in a single restore job. Also because of the differential setup some resources may need two restore jobs when others in your selection may only need one.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For VM, when you specify that you want to restore a differential backup, BE will "remember" which is the full backup for this differential and restore that first.  Unfortunately, since you have duplicated your full backup to tape, it will use your tape and not your hdd backup.  There is no way around this.

For the other resources, you just need to specify that you are restoring which differential and which full.  You are in complete control.

Yaroslav_Basenk
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Ok, thanks!

For example
how to do a  dif restore job (hdd1+tape2) for File System Resources?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can create 2 restore jobs, one for the full and one for the diff.  In the jobs, select the backup sets (tape or hdd) that you want to restore from.

Alternatively, you can use one job and select from the full and diff backup.

Amarnath_Sathis
Level 5

Since you have Duplicated the Disk Storage the Full Backup wont be available in HDD.

It will be available only in Tape.

1st Restore the Full Backup of the File System to its Destination.

2nd Restore the Differential Backup. - Available in Tape

Restoring Differential to the same destination path of Full Backup.

* Select "Overwrite files if exist". Then the files which are modified will be updated.

* If this options is not selected the files wont be restored in the destination path.

Else

* Restore Full and Differential Backup's to two different destination path.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is a 2 month old discussion. I think the user is long gone.