cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Virtual Agent for VMware and Virtual Agent for Hyper-V

Matt2010
Level 2
So I'm confused with regards to the differences between the agent for VMware and the Agent for Hyper-V.  Can someone help clarify?

For VMware, in order to perform Granular Recovery of files/folders, or even Exchange emails or SharePoint objects, can i do all of that with a single pass backup or do I need to install both the AWS agent and application agents for Exchange or SharePoint inside the VM itself in order to recover granularly?

For Hyper-V, is it the same or different?  Can I do it all with a single pass backup, without all the agents installed in each VM?

Thank you,
Matt
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
You need the agent installed, plain and simple.

Without, there is no VSS provider to flush and commit any database log files.  
Without the Agent, there is nothing to catalog the metadata related to the GRT selections
Without the Agent, you cannot do in place restores.

Please note, that 90%+ of the backup job is using the virtual agent technology, and the agent is there for the remainder to collect metadata related to GRT or to use it's VSS provider as VMware Tools is not sufficient.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
If you are running Backup Exec 2010, the agent will need to be installed and the virtual machine running (so that we can collect the metadata for GRT and do the VSS stuff), but it is a single pass packing using the agent for Hyper-V or VMWare

With 12.5 because we did not do GRT of anything but the file system it was a 2 pass backup to do GRT of Exchange etc.