cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences Between Backup Exec 2010 Versions

shawn130c
Level 2

Hello,

I am not too familar with Backup Exec, but I have a new client that is running Backup Exec 2010 (Ver 13 Rev 2896) on their Windows Server 2008. We are looking at either upgrading or replacing their server with SBS 2008 or SBS 2011.

I am trying to figure out if their version will work with SBS (primarily making sure exchange individual mailboxes are backed up) or do I need to buy a different version.

On the backup exec product page they have two versions, specfically one for Windows Small Business Server. When I open up Backup Exec on their server it does not mention anything specfic about Small Business Server.

Essentially will the version they have work or not for SBS 2008 or 2011.

Thanks,

Shawn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Windows 2008 is supported by all the builds (R1,R2, and R3) of Backup Exec 2010.

But Windows 2011 is supported by only the latest version that is Backup Exec 2010 R3.

This build is available on the website www.backupexec.com . The software for the SBS server and standard server is same but only the difference is in licensing. As you will be installing Backup Exec on an SBS operating System then you need to buy the Backup Exec SBS license key.

The Backup Exec SBS license key will also include the license for backing the Exchange databases and restore individual mailboxes on the SBS server so there is no need to buy any additional license for Exchange backups.

Do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shawn130c
Level 2

Made more clear.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Windows 2008 is supported by all the builds (R1,R2, and R3) of Backup Exec 2010.

But Windows 2011 is supported by only the latest version that is Backup Exec 2010 R3.

This build is available on the website www.backupexec.com . The software for the SBS server and standard server is same but only the difference is in licensing. As you will be installing Backup Exec on an SBS operating System then you need to buy the Backup Exec SBS license key.

The Backup Exec SBS license key will also include the license for backing the Exchange databases and restore individual mailboxes on the SBS server so there is no need to buy any additional license for Exchange backups.

Do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,

-Sush...

shawn130c
Level 2

Thank you for the quick answer Sush. 

The client might be keeping backup exec on that server and we might be purchasing another copy of backup exec. Looking at Symantec website, when purchasing Backup Exec for Windows Small Business Server, there is an option for agents. In the agent list there is an Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange. Do i just need to purchase the Windows Small Business Server or do I also need to add the agent for exchange?

Thanks,

Shawn

nhej-
Level 5
Employee

Hi Shawn,

The BUE Small Business Server license includes or activate:

1 BUE Exchange Agent

1 BUE SQL Agent

1 BUE SharePoint Agent

1 BUE Agent for Windows

1 BUE AOFO

1 BUE IDR

75  BUE Desktop & Laptop Options

It will also include:

1 license key: 1 BESR SBS license

1 license key: 1 BESR Server license includes GRO

1 license key: 1 BESR Desktop Edition

shawn130c
Level 2

@lw@yz,

Thank you and Sush for the answers. I think that answers all my questions.

Have a good day.

Shawn