cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backup backing up non-archive bit files

Phillip_Armitag
Level 3
Last night Backup Exec for Windows backed up 94 G of data from my Netware 6.5 server (using the Netware agent). The backup job is configured to perform a differential backup based on the status of the file archive bit. Problem is, most of the files backed up do NOT have the archive bit set.

The job is configured to perform a differential backup using the archive bit for file selection. Under options I have set Backup Exec to log "Summary info, directories, files, and the file details". The log shows numerous files without an archive bit set backed up. Going to restore, I find that the files were actually backed up. Checking a selection of backed up files at the server, I verify that the archive bit is NOT set.

Any explanation as to why Backup Exec is backing up files from my Netware server that shouldn't be backed up?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you seen http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275953.htm ?

WZMH_Architects
Not applicable
That article is not applicable. It refers to using the "Using Modifed Time" method for performing backups. I'm selecting "Differential - Back up changed files since last full - Using archive bit (does not reset archive bit)" method.

Using this method, only files with the archive bit set should be backed up. Instead, Backup Exec is backing up somewhat randomly, files on the Netware server that have the archive bit set, and other files that don't have the archive bit set.

The Backup Exec for Netware Agent loads on the Netware server BKUPEXEC.NLM ver 9.1. Is this the most up-to-date module for Netware?

I look forward to your response

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
According to http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274646.htm

Backup Exec 9.1.1158.3 Remote Agent for Netware (for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 10.0 5484 with Hotfix 30) is the latest RANS

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Does the problem with differential backups persist? Refer to the following technote. The reasons mentioned in the technote could be causing the problem:

Title: When running a Differential or Incremental backup job, all files are backed up as if a Full Backup was run.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190786

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Phillip_Armitag
Level 3
I've sort of identified the problem. As mentioned in the suggested technote there is a third party product (McAfee NetShield) which appears to be the culprit. But only partly.

My Netware server has seven volumes. Of those, one volume is always backed up in full even though the backup job specifies diff using archive bit setting. The backup of that volume occurs at 11:30 pm. At 4:00am every day the problem volume is scanned by the anti-virus program NetShield. Any file touched, not modified but simply examined, will end up being backed up.

However, if one does a directory listing of the files on the volume the archive bit is not set.Using Novells' NDIR command to check files on the problem volume one again determines that none of the affected files has the archive bit set. A look at the backup log for the job (configured to record ALL file/folder details) shows that files being backed up do not have the archive bit set.

In short, it appears that Backup Exec's remote agent for Netware is NOT doing a diff based on archive bit status, but a diff based on last accessed time.

I would determine this to be a problem with the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Netware and not the anti-virus program. It is the remote agent which is specifying the wrong file selection criteria.