cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backup from MS SQL Instances

_Bugs_
Level 5

Hello,

i have a problem to back up a server with a MS SQL Instance with a differential Backup Job. The Backup-Job fails with the following Error Message (Google Translate):

Note: To back up SQL databases using a combination of protocol and differential backup, you have to create two incremental backup jobs. Select for the first incremental backup job under "Incremental method for Microsoft SQL" the protocol option. For the second incremental backup job under "Incremental method for Microsoft SQL" select "differential"

What does this mean? Do i have to create an incremental Backup Job just for the SQL Instance and a second overall Job with a differential part for the rest of the server?

Or do i have to create an overall Job with two incremental parts including the SQL instances?

Or do i have to create an overall Job with just one incremental part and deal with it?

I actually do not want to backup the server with incremental Jobs, i would prefer differential Jobs.

5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Jha
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1. On the Backup and Restore tab, right-click the server name.

2. Click Edit Backups.

3. In the Backup Properties box, click Edit.

4. On the Backup Options dialog box, in the left pane, click Schedule.

5. In the Add Backup Jobs By Method field, on the drop-down menu, click Incremental.

6. Specify a description of the type of backup job method that is being added, for example, SQL Differential backup.

7. Select Microsoft SQL.

8. In the backup job method that was added, on the Incremental method for Microsoft SQL drop-down menu, click Differential.

9. Click OK.

_Bugs_
Level 5

Thanks for the response.

There is no way to save the whole Server including the SQL Instance via the differential method?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is always recommended that you have two jobs, one to backup files and another to backup databases.  For the job that backup files, you should enable AOF and for the job that backup databases, you should disable AOF.  Also, as you have experience, you would have problems when you try to do incremental backups for both files and SQL databases in the same job.

_Bugs_
Level 5

ok, i created two jobs now as you recommended. Will see tonight how it works.

Why should i disable Advanced Open file Option for back up databases?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For SQL database, you will have problems re-directing them during restores.