cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential backup fails

Tim_Londo
Level 3
Has anyone been able to perform an 11d - differential backup successfully? Mine says it can't find the full backup, but it ran fine.
8 REPLIES 8

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Tim

What resources are you talking about? It shouldn't be files, because differencial backups are based on the archive bit, and they don't need a full backup to run.

Regards

Tim_Londo
Level 3
I can perform a full database backup in SQL2005 successfully. I immediately try to run a differential for the same database, but it fails and says I haven't ran a full backup. The same process worked for 10d with patches.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

What is the exact error message that you receive while performing the backup?

Thank you,

Shweta

Tim_Londo
Level 3
V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database Configuration.
V-79-57344-33938 - Cannot perform a differential backup for database "Configuration", because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Tim,

Have you also included the master database for the differential backups?

Tim_Londo
Level 3
No sir.

Andrea_Bane
Level 3
Hi Tim. I do know that if you haven't gotten a full backup yet, then the differential will not backup because it doesn't know what is 'new'. Try running a full backup first then run the differential. :)

Tim_Londo
Level 3
Of course, first I ran a full backup successfully. Then, I tried to run a differential backup of the same database.

That's why I believe symantec needs to provide a patch for 11d.