Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[5520] Can't install hotfixes and servicepack

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
Windows 2000 Server SP4
Backup Exec 10.0 build 5520

I removed BE and did a clean install but can't install updates anymore. The Windows Install wizard says only: Install Wizard ERROR!

I added the /lv switch but now I have this 3 MB logfile and I can't find out what goes wrong. How to troubleshoot this?Message was edited by:
Jetze Mellema
14 REPLIES 14

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
Anybody?

Juhani_Tolonen
Level 3
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278528.htm

maybe this is helpful.
J

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
It sure was helpful but I cannot install this hotfix neither.

Juhani_Tolonen
Level 3
Ok, thats very weird. Are you installing locally from the console or remotely?

Mike_Lee_2
Level 3
I had the same issue. I downloaded Veritas as a trial, got my license and entered those. At a later date I removed the extracted folder where Vertias was orginally installed from. I then tried to install updates and I was getting install wizard errors. Well, I went back out to the website and downloaded the trial and extracted it. And when the install wizard error came backup I just pointed it to that other directory and it worked fine.

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
I have tried remote but now do it local.

Veritas support?

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
Veritas Support? This is becoming a real problem now.

Mike_Lee_2
Level 3
DId you even try my suggestion?

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
Sorry Mike, forgot to mention. Yes I tried such a procedure altough I didn't use the trial to install. I even changed the location which was mentioned in the register.

Unfortunately this was no solution.

I uploaded the logfile to http://www.mellema.net/log.txt (3.86 MB)

Mike_Lee_2
Level 3
Darn! Okay, I'm about to go into the office. I'll check out the log file then.

Thanks!

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
I 'solved' the problem by upgrading tot 10.d. Don't know if it's really solved because there are no updates for 10.d at hte moment.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Juhani_Tolonen
Level 3
Hi,
good to hear that your problem is solved. If this problem still continue after your upgrade, try this crazy thing that i cant understand why its like this, but in my case it worked. I was upgrading my BE 10 to BE 10.0d, but the installation wizard was interrupted, and the log file looked pretty same as yours. In the end of log there was same "1603"-error. I had to give to the source installation folder (where i had downloaded BE 10.0d) full rights to system user, otherwise it wouldn't worked.

Jetze_Mellema
Level 4
No longer neccesary.

Claude_Sturman
Level 3
Sorry with the christmas break I did not see this.

We had the same problem with 10.0 rev5520 on a windows cluster. After many hours on the phone with Veritas, they suggested we try this and it worked.

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\migconfig.xml, modify the xml file to remove the tape library information. I made a copy of it because after the service pack and hotfixes you have to revert back to the original xml file.

VERITAS
Backup Exec
VERITAS Backup Exec For Windows Servers 0

Because of this xml file we could not install any hotfix or service packs. I would assume that when I try to install another hotfix or service pack, I will have to do the the same thing until I upgrade to 10d.

Claude