Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinamic selection for virtual machines in Vmware

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi guys,

I´m having problems with vmware policies, in my enviroment I have almost 80 virtual machines and 4 hosts so we decided to create 10 vmware policies (8 selected virtual machies per policy), the problem is when one VM is moved to another host backup exec is not recognizing this movement and BE cant find it. And when I tried to modify the police, I get an error about "remove from selection", the virtual machine is there but in another host,

Could you give me ideas how to solve this. I dont want to modify the policy every time I move a virtual machine.

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, You get this if you select the hosts themselves and not the Virtual Center...if this is the case select the VC and test by running a vMotion of a VM. If the backup runs, your problem is solved. Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you specifically select the VMs by their indiviudual named objects (in the Backup Selections List) this disables dynamic inclusion and stores direct locations - if a machine is moved with this configuration you wil have to edit the selection list every time. (and you will probably have to do this by deleting the appropriate line within the details, text based, view of what you have selected, not the graphical tree view)

If however you select a container object (folder) that your VMs are located in then as long as the VM remains in (or below) the selected container they will backup, new VMs added to the same container will be automatically included in backup operations and VMs removed from the container will automatically stop backing up.

If you have two containers and regularly move VMs between them and alwsys want them ot backup then you wil eiuther need to select a higher container object (that itself contains everything) OR use two backup jobs.

Note: you will need to use a Vcentre setup as mentioned by Craig and if using two containers and two jobs, the first job after you move a VM may give a warning about selections having changed since last backup (and may run as a full against the moved VM)