Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirectCopy to Tape

chussi
Level 4

I am using BE2010.
I do not have a virtual tape device.
Per default the checkbox for this feature is always enabled.

I can not uncheck this feature. When I close the policy and reopen it, the checkbox is checked again.

How can I disable this feature DirectCopy to Tape.

Or can I just ignore it, when I do not have a virtual device ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Pg. 364 of the Admin Guide:

Enable DirectCopy to tape - Enables data to be copied from a virtual tape library directly to a physical device. The BackuP Exec media server records information about the data in the catalog. Because the information about the copied data is in the catalog, you can restore data from either the virtual device or the physical device.]

It also appears that unless both devices are using NDMP, BE does a normal duplicate job...if that is what you are currently doing.
I wouldn't worry about it being selected, unless if it causing poor performance or your backups/restores to fail.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

Pg. 364 of the Admin Guide:

Enable DirectCopy to tape - Enables data to be copied from a virtual tape library directly to a physical device. The BackuP Exec media server records information about the data in the catalog. Because the information about the copied data is in the catalog, you can restore data from either the virtual device or the physical device.]

It also appears that unless both devices are using NDMP, BE does a normal duplicate job...if that is what you are currently doing.
I wouldn't worry about it being selected, unless if it causing poor performance or your backups/restores to fail.

Thanks!