cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery

Rudi_Bester
Level 2
Hope someone can provide some advice...

My client has a single server SBS2003 with Backup-Exec v10 installed and running.

He has also purchased an external backup drive that he connected to his PC at home (win XP Pro... or Home, not sure) to be able to read the backup tapes at home.
He's aim is to take a full backup home at the end of the week, and try to restore files onto his home machine, in case of a disaster and he's not able to get back into his office.

Obviously the copy of Backup exec he bought won't install on his home machine as the license key is for SBS.

Is there any way he would be able to read the tape at home? Will he have to purchase a home version? Even if he purchases a home version, will he be able to read the backup created by the SBS server?

Many thanks,
Rudi
3 REPLIES 3

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Rudi,

You will have to install Backup Exec on the XP Machine. Just getting a storage device will not help. He will have to buy Backup Exec for Windows Servers or can download it from this site.

http://www.veritas.com/softwaredownload

He can use the 60 day eval version before buyong the product. Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived

Rudi_Bester
Level 2
Dear Chaitanya,

In reply on your advice...

The client has a USB external backup device, thus this won't work with Beckup Exec ver10. As I understand it only supports SCSI and ATAPI devices?

I have made progress up to the following...

Using the SBS server to back up the data, and then taking the tape home to his XP Pro/Home machine with the USB backup device attached, I am able to catalogue the data on the tape, and view every file. However the problem I have now is that I can't restore it, as I get the following error...
"The media has been secured. You do not have the proper privileges"

Is there any way to change the security when being backed up in order to be able to restore on a different system?

Kind regards,
Rudi Bester

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have mentioned here that Using the SBS server to back up the data, and then taking the tape home to XP Pro/Home machine, you hav ecataloged the tape,

Can you view the backed up data on the Win XP prof machine?

Please elaborate the steps you are performin to restore the data.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.