cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

I have a physical server 2008 R2  that is our exchange 2010, this server has exchange agent on it installed and we backup our mailboxs with  BE 2010 R2. now I want to have a disater recovery in place, and if server crache we can restore it in a shorts possible amunt of time. could some one direct me to a document on how to do this with backup exact?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do read the IDR chapter in the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

You might want to watch my video on the IDR recovery process.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Here the article which will help you perform the Disaster Recovery for Windows, Exchange, etc (also something you should keep handy:(

Backup Exec Disaster Recovery Shortcut List (TECH83015)

Make sure you have a good full backup of C:, System State and Information Store.

Also, since you're on Backup Exec 2010 R2 right now, it is highly recommended that you upgrade to the latest (and one of the most stable) available version of Backup Exec 2010 i.e. R3

Note: All your existing licenses will work, it is a straight forward upgrade, simply install it over the existing version, run live update couple of times to make sure its fully patched and update all Remote Agents

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi Super Brain,

I dont see any artical regarding the Exchange 2010. can we use the Intelligent Disaster Recovery of the BE 2010 to backup our exchange 2010 fully on a LTO 5 tape? and use this backup to restore a creched exchange server?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use IDR to restore your Exchange server.  After a successful IDR restore, you would have a functioning server with Exchange running.  You would then need to run another job to restore the mailboxes to Exchange.

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi PKH,

Could you please direct me to document that explain how to use IDR to backup our exchange 2010? I never used the IDR, and I would appreciate if you can help me.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do read the IDR chapter in the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

You might want to watch my video on the IDR recovery process.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi PKH,

It is very usefull video, and I will watch it before restore my server. but before do a restore I would like to know if these steps are correct one for createing the backup and bootable media.

1. use the BE 2010 to create a full backup of the exchange server (by choosing all of the 3 drives of the exchange server) to a tape.

2. create a bootable CD image with BE console. when useing this wizard I can see all of the servers that have angent installed on them including the exchange server. now choose the exchange server and follow the wizard and create the bootable image and burn the image to a CD.

are these setps correct? or there is more to it?

Thanks

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Hi Shahin -

If you have more questions or need to speak with a support engineer, this blog has several different ways to connect directly to REAL LIVE human beings who can help with your technical issues

pkh
   VIP    Certified

That is all to it.