cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery wihtout BE Servers available.

hdablin
Level 3

Can I perform the SDR recovery procedure when I have no BE 2014 servers available (only backup media such as tape or disk and SDR USB flash)? I yes, where can I read about it? If no, is there any workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the server which is being recovered has locally attached devices containing the backup media and is being booted using the custom SDR disk, then the BE media server is not connected to. In fact, you can even use SDR to recover the BE media server itself.

Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180099

If you see Fig 12, the BE media server is used when the backup sets are present on the media server, else not.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You can recover a server with just the media. You will also need the .dr file in most cases. Read the SDR chapter in the Admin Guide

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the server which is being recovered has locally attached devices containing the backup media and is being booted using the custom SDR disk, then the BE media server is not connected to. In fact, you can even use SDR to recover the BE media server itself.

Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180099

If you see Fig 12, the BE media server is used when the backup sets are present on the media server, else not.

hdablin
Level 3

What is ADD? I cannot find this chapter in the Admin Guide.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sorry. It should be SDR. The predictive keyboard for the better of me

hdablin
Level 3

Thank you! Should I attach full media storage or I can select only those files that are needed for restore? Will it work with Deduplication Storage?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can do either. No. You cannot do a SDR restore from a dedup folder