cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Quantum SAS Tape Streamers Work with Backup Exec 10d?

landcrab75
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I want to start using SAS tape streamers with SBS2003 running Backup Exec 10d as SCSI is a dying standard.

My SCSI interfaced LTO-3 tape streamers work a treat but although the SAS devices appear just like the SCSI devices do Backup Exec seems to have got confused where they are - jobs are listed as running but nothing happens. The HP SAS device behaves slightly differently to the Quantum which just goes off line.

Am I wasting my time trying to get 10D to talk to a SAS device or are there more up to date Symantec drivers available?

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the online version of the Backup Exec 10D Hardware Comaptibility List (HCL)?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are you using a supported (ie non RAID) SAS HBA?

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can use most any tape drive with backupExec.  You are not limited to using just Symantec's drivers.  You can use the manufacturers too.  

However you are on a very old and non-supported version of BackupExec, and if you chose to use OEM drivers instead of Symantec's; you are on your own in terms of performance and supportability.  At the very least Symantec's drivers while not the most current are at least tested stable.

There are always promos to buy BackupExec at 30-35% off for existing customers that let maintenance lapse.  

landcrab75
Level 2
Partner Accredited

The SAS card is an adaptec 6405E but not configured to use its RAID capability as the SBS2003 server uses software disk mirroring.

The driver supplied by Quantum installs properly but it appears that 10d just doesn't want to know. The backup facilities provided by SBS2003 also fail to recognise the SAS tape drive but both backup systems are happy with the SCSI version of the LTO-3 drive

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

That appears to be an unsupported RAID card, per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

I would suggest a different SAS controller for the tape.