cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the system disk (c:\) need to be backed up if System State bkup is on?

Jason_Kangas
Level 2
On our Domain Controller, all user data is on a seperate drive (d:\). Currently, I'm backing up c:, d:, and system state. Could I get away with just backing up d: and the system state and still be OK when it comes time to recover?
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What data does the C drive contain? In case you wish to just recover the user data on the D drive, then a backup of system state and D drive will do, however if you also want to keep the C drive data, you will need to back ip up too. Is C the system drive?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Jason_Kangas
Level 2
C: is where windows is installed and all applications are installed. I don't really care about the applications on the server, but I DO care about Active Directory Policies / Settings, DHCP settings, printers, etc. I'm assuming I'd need to backup the c: drive to retain this type of information?

Can I get a link to what "system state" really defines? I couldn't find this information on your site.

Thanks in advance.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Jason

We strongly recommend you to backup C: because it is the windows drive and its backup needs to be there at the time of a disaster recovery along with the system state to restore your core - active directory etc.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.