cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't understand the info in Devices screen in BE

User999
Level 4
Hi All,

I have inserted all my tapes to the Autoloader. I have also barcoded all the tapes according to the sequesntial manner. Slot 1 = Tape 1 = Barcode = 1...etc.
From the "Devices" screen in BE software, i can see the list being displayed.

My questions is:

1) Why is the backup randomly placed in different tapes, even if some tape not completely utilised?
2) It is stated under column "Used Capacity" - 10MB of 100G, but the next column "Data" is stating 1TB. What is the "Data" column indicating?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Answers to your question
1. The backup are written to the tape as per the options you select in the Job ie. Media set , overwrite or append etc
For eg If you have selected the option to overwrtie the tape in the backup job properties , Even if there is space in any of the tape ,backup job would look for the tape which can be overwritten . Similary when you select a media set in the backup job properties it would first see if there is any tape in that media set which can be overwritten or appended as per the option selected in the job ...

2. In the media properties section of a tape, the 'Used Capacity' value represent the amount of data written to tape regardless if compression was used or not.  This was  enhanced from  v11d whereas in v10d the 'Used Capacity' value was the backup set size and not the amount of data written to the tape.

For example, if a 2GB data backup job was compressed (by hardware or software) to 1GB to a new tape, the 'Used Capacity' value for that tape would be 1GB.  If the same backup was written to a new tape without enabling compression, then the 'Used Capacity' value would be 2GB.
Refer the following doc http://support.veritas.com/docs/342158

User999
Level 4
Hi RahulG,

Thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of the difference between v10 and v11. However from the link that you forwarded, I am not able to find the column "Data". Can you advice on the info. Attaching the screenshot for your viewing.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello

In the above screenshot the term "Data" means the actual data available on the media.

As per the screenshot you have 745GB of Used Capacity and the compression is 2:1

Hence the Data on the tape is 1.46TB (approximately 745*2)

User999
Level 4
Thanks All!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Colould you please mark the post as resolved ..Cheers!!!

User999
Level 4
Hi,

Just to follow up on previous post. I got 2 questions:

1) I come across the compression of 1:1. Previously it was 2:1, meaning Data Compressed * 2 = Actual Size. But 1:1 is not the actual data size itself? As I see the actual data size is smaller then the used capacity. Any advice?

2) What determined the compression scale? Seems random on different tape?

Screenshot attached.

Thanks!