cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't want a full backup

rmartin28
Level 2

I just recently upgraded to Backup Exec 2012 and wish I hadn't, but that's another thread.  My problem is this.  I want to create a daily differential backup on multiple servers that will run Mon-Thurs. and then have a full backup that runs over the wekend.  I don't see how you can create just a differential (or incremental) backup without a full backup getting thrown in there.  That's just stupid.   

As I mentioned before, I just upgraded so it's possible that I'm just ignorant about how to do this.  Did you really take that ability away?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Issue a "Run Now" on the Full.  A Full needs to run before a partial backup can be started.  Once you've run your full just once to kick things off, your schedule will run as planned.

The effect if you do this now will be a very small first differential (since few changes will occur between running the priming Full and the first diff).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2012, you can add the Full & the Diff backup methods in the same job

I want to create a daily differential backup on multiple servers that will run Mon-Thurs. and then have a full backup that runs over the wekend.

While setting up a backup job, you can add 2 stages, i.e. one Full running as per you schedule (like during the weekend)  & one Differential running every other day....

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Here's where you remove the Incremental -- you get here by clicking the "Edit" inside the backup stage of the backup dialog.

Then, use the "Add Backup Jobs by Method" to add your differential.

rmartin28
Level 2

So the bottom line is I can't right?  It's cute that you can do these "Stages" in same job, but for our Federal SOX compliance the auditors want to see proof of two completly seperate operations and thier results.  This new setup makes that more complicated for us. The old "Jobs" tab was perfect for that. Very simple and streight forward.  Perfect for the government auditors.  :)  I guess that's why it had to go.   

Thank you for your time. 

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Backup Job defaults have extended in Backup Exec 2012.  You can now set up different defaults for ALL settings based on storage type.

For example, you can set up a default backup workflow to disk with short retention times, and another default workflow for tape that has longer retention times and notification recipients.

You'll find the defaults here, from the round button in the upper left corner of the Backup Exec GUI:

rmartin28, you might just want to start here and set up a default backup workflow including a Full + Differential.   Then, as you create new jobs, you'll have very little to edit (selections...and maybe nothing else).

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Agreed, that these stages are set in the same job, however after job creation, you would see 2 separate jobs & thereby 2 separate results...

After the job creation process, double-click on the server name & you would see separate jobs, i.e.the full & diff would be listed separately & their results as well under job history...

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Ah -- I just read your comment about compliance.

The jobs are run distinctly, just as before.  They'll generate separate job histories; that also has not changed.

If you want to change the job monitor to resemble previous releases, you can get pretty close by using the "Compact + List" mode on the Backup and Restore tab:

The Job History tab is where your auditable logs can be found.

rmartin28
Level 2

Ok, so since I can't get rid of the Full backup when creating a job.  How do I get backup exec to recognize the differential backup I just created.  It tells me that the next backup is scheduled for Friday.  That's the Full backup that I didn't want in the first place.  It doesn't seem to see the daily backup that I created at all. 

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Issue a "Run Now" on the Full.  A Full needs to run before a partial backup can be started.  Once you've run your full just once to kick things off, your schedule will run as planned.

The effect if you do this now will be a very small first differential (since few changes will occur between running the priming Full and the first diff).

rmartin28
Level 2

DOH, yea.  Just saw that.  Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for all your help.  Have a good one. 

BE_KirkFreiheit
Level 4
Employee

Glad to help.  It's a lot of change to take in!  Take care.