cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Full

Don_Philips
Level 2
I recently moved to BEv10. It is doing backup jobs in about 1GB chunks for each system. This creates a problem after full backups because my new differential is only overwriting enough of these chunks to do the new job. It does not clean up any more than that. This is leaving bits and pieces in all my differential folders that are taking up space and filling my drive up. We are set to over write. I am sure I am missing something simple here to fix this.

Thanks,
Don PhilipsMessage was edited by:
Don Philips
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Are you performing the jobs on the tapes or on B2D?

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Don,
just right klick you backup 2 Disk folders under the devices tab. (Properties / Configuration)

There you can edit the size of the B2D files. (Default is 1 GB ) - increase it to eg 10 GB.
As BE handles B2D files the same way as physical tapes, if your full backup uses 10 GB (=10 files á 1 GB) and the diff backup only uses 2 Gb (=2 files á 1 GB), it would be the same as having 10 tapes for a full backup, but the differential overwrite backup would only use 2. The remaining 8 tapes will not be touched. Same for the 8 B2D files.

increasing the filesize to 10 GB in this example would lead in one 10 GB file for the full backup - and when the diff file will be written, it will delete this file and create a new 2 GB file.

And of cause you could go for two separate media sets. One for full and one for differential.
The diff backups would always overwrite the diff backup files, while the full backups will overwrite the full ones - always accordung to the overwrite protection you have set.

Hope this helps

Regards

uz

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Just a few comments-

Uz makes a good suggestion. If the B2D file size is set larger than the largest anticipated differential backup, it is more likely to overwrite the same file each time (depending on media set protection times and overwtite behavior) and not leave other files in the same backup set left behind.

In my experience, changing the B2D file size will 'orphan' the existing (original size) B2D files, and will never overwrite them and create the new size. If this should happen to you- move the legacy B2D files to the retired media pool, annotate the file names, physically delete them from disk and delete them from Backup Exec.

The behavior (left over B2D files) is by design- An overwrite protection period defines the condition of when the backup can be overwritten, but does not erase the data once this time has been surpassed.
It would be a nice feature when using backup2 disk if an 'automatic erase overwriteable media' job could be scheduled, which would free up disk space, and make disk defragmentation go faster!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Don,

Have you tried out the steps suggested in the previous posts? Has it helped resolve your problem? If the issue persists still, do elaborate on the following details:

- the size of the job you run
- the maximum size configured for the files on the B2D as seen from the properties of the backup -to -disk folder.

Do update in either case.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.