cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Pool Uses

nichotech
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Can anyone tell me if a drive pool can be used to complete a job that cannot be completed using one tape? I have to much data for one DAT72 tape. Can I add another tape drive and have the data spill over to that tape (spanned)?

I'm using BE 12.5 SBE on Windows server 2008 Standard with Dell DAT 36/72 4mm tapes.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This will answer all your question

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH28427

nichotech
Level 3
Partner Accredited

sazz, thanks for your link. I have seen this before and it is somewhat helpful but it doesn't specifically answer my question.

I want to know if anyone has ever actually done this: Utilize a second tape drive to back up data from one job where one tapes' capacity is maxed and the remainder of data spills to the next tape automatically.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Maximum number of devices to use for resources that support multiple data streams option will help you.

But again it is not that your first tape will have first half of your data and second tape with second half. 

Data will be backed up lly to both the tapes.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It might be that cascaded drive pools meet the concept you are asking about instead of normal drive pools - unfortunately cascaded drive pools have been discontinued in the latest versions of Backup Exec.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE 12.5 and 2010 also supports cascaded drive pools...

By using this multiple stand-alone tape drives can be cascaded into a single logical drive.

Tape drives in cascaded drive pool are not available for concurrent operations. Only one drive can be used at a time.

For cascading tape drives, tape drives must be of same type.

By cascading the tape drives, backup jobs can automatically roll to the media in the next tape drive when the media is filled.

Check out pg no 434 of BE12.5 admin guide.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63215

nichotech
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thank you Mr Bandi - I guess I'll read the admin guide first , from now on.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@Kiran

Yes, v12.5 supports cascaded drive pools

No, 2010 does not (as Colin mentioned)

@nicotech

I have used cascaded drive pools and they do work as you desire

nichotech
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the Trusted Advice!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

nicotech

If you feel that any of these responses has answered your concern, please mark it as a "Solution"  If any of the others have helped, you can give them a "Thumbs Up"

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Nichotech,

Will you please close the discussion by marking solution....