cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Job taking 8x longer than usual to run. 34 hours for 500GB.

Ckidd_Ben
Level 3
Hi,
   I am running Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows 2000 Server.  I have a duplicate job run immediately after my main backup job.  The duplicate job used to take about 4 hours to run.  Now it has shot up to 34 hours.  Nothing has changed on the server so I'm guessing that there a problem with BE.  I've watched it and the backup speed steadily drops as the processor usage climbs.  After about an hour the CPU usage is pegged.

For example, my daily incrimental backup is about 4GB.  The duplicate job runs at 4,700MB/min.

The weekly full backup duplicate job starts just as fast but ends at a painfully slow 343MB/min.

The backup job first runs from my 6x250GB RAID 6 array to my nearline array, an external Areca Sidecar running 4x1TB drives in Raid0.  The duplicate job then runs with the data going to a 1.5TB eSATA drive.

I've tested everything in the chain and even the weakest link, the eSATA drive, moves data at 3400MB/minute.

My server has two 3.2GHz Xeon's (socket 604) with 4GB of ram.  It is just a file/print server.  No Exchange.  Backup Exec is installed on and runs on the server.

I've tried enabling/disable software compression.  Changing the job priority.  No change.

I should also mention that the main backup job of 590GB takes a little under 13 hours to run.  Is this also slow or on par?  It has always run at this speed ever sinve setting up Backup Exec.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
             Ben
0 REPLIES 0