cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate backup set job failing

matt_fitch
Level 3

I have a policy that has been running successfully for several months. As part of this policy, I do a full backup of the associated selection list every Friday evening. All of my current jobs back up to disk (B2D).

Today, I added a new job template to my existing policy to make a copy of the most recent Friday evening full backup to a WORM tape. The job fails almost immediately with error e00081d2 - "The script associated with this job contained no valid selections.". The links in the error message provide no enlightening information. Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW: this is backup exec 2010 R2.

As a side note, I have a support case open on this with Symantec. The support rep was truely horrible (repeatedly tried to get me to edit the job directly, even though it's in a policy, etc, etc - seemed like he had little to no experience with the product). What is the procedure for getting a case reassigned or (preferably) escalated to a more senior engineer?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you add the template after the full backup had run as it sounds like you did and that won't work (within a policy anyway)

Run the original full backup job that you linked to that template and then run that duplicate and it should work

Edit: As an explantion duplicate jobs in a policy build the selections for the duplicate as the original backup runs, so if you add the duplicate after running the full then no selections will be present. If you had instead made a duplicate job outside the policy as just a one off to duplicate an existing set, then that builds the backup selection dynamically from the catalog so can be created retrospectively.

matt_fitch
Level 3

Thanks Colin.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying.

1. My full backup job already ran (via policy) last Friday. This was a B2D job

2. I don't want to re-run the above - it's already on the B2D disk, and I don't want a second copy there.

3. I want to copy the B2D files from #1 above, that are sitting on disk. I want these to go to tape.

From your description, it sounds like this is not possible..?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

it is possible just don't do it with a template that did not exist before Friday - or wait till after next Friday's job and then the duplicate should run.

For last Friday's job,

Go  to Job Setup screen in Backup Exec.

In Left side bar is an option to create a duplicate job (sorry can't give you exact text as I don't have a test setup handy)

In this option you can choose to duplicate the data from an existing set/job

Use this option and pick Friday's set.