cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate jobs not writing to same tape

keithk
Level 3
I've been having and issue with BE 10.d.  I run a full files weekly backup job on Friday nights.  I also run a full SQL and full Exchange job.  The total amount of data is approx 500GB.  I'm using Dell Ultrium3 LTO tapes (400GB native/ 800GB compressed)  My ideal setup would be to write the following week's incrementals to the same tape that has the prior week's full jobs on it.   In a worse case scenario, I would like to write the following week's incrementals and full dailies to a different tape than the weekly fulls, but contained on one tape. (total of two being used)  What is happening, however, is that once a duplicate Exchange and SQL jobs have written to tape, the Full Files job is still running to disk.  When it finishes, it does not write to tape until i put a new tape.  Then, the daily duplicates do prompt me to enter new media with each new dup job that runs.  How can I get all my duplicate jobs to write to one tape?  I understand that the size of the Full job duplicates may not allow for appending the following week's data but I still can't get the following week's dailies to write the duplicate jobs onto a tape that has more than enough space.

FYI, I've got "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"  selected in the properties of each of my duplicate jobs.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you also specify the same media set for all your Duplicate Jobs?

What is the APP for the media set specified for the Duplicate jobs?

keithk
Level 3
I did have different media sets.  My APP (that is Append Period, right?) is set to Infinate-allow append.  The APP, for all media sets, is set this way.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I did have different media sets.

That was your problem then.  To  be appendable, the current job must specify the same media set as the one currently on the tape

keithk
Level 3
Thank you, I changed them and re-ran the jobs and it worked great.  I wish the admin guide had more of this type of information.

keithk
Level 3
This doesn't mean that the duplicate jobs and the Jobs that they're duplicating have to be the same media set, right?  e.g. Assume my incremental Monday Files job (part of the Daily Files media set) runs and is followed by the Duplicate Monday Files (part of the Tapes media set), and will write to tape 01.  Then my incremental Tuesday Files job (also part of the Daily Filese media set) runs followed by Duplicate Tuesday Files job(also part of Tapes media set).  Will my Tuesday disk to tape job write to tape 01 if I have not removed it and it is the only tape in the drive?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This doesn't mean that the duplicate jobs and the Jobs that they're duplicating have to be the same media set, right? 

Correct.  You can move data from as many source media sets as you wish to a single target volume, as long as each Duplicate job uses the same media set