cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate of VMware backups fail with "Unable to determine ADAMM media identification. Catalog query failed."

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec

Today I experience another issues on my Backup Exec 2014 installed on Windows 2012 Std Physical server. After some research and I found that is an known issues for past 7 months without a resolution since Backup exec 2012. This is now continues to affecting backup exec 2014.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216099&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1414449026440

Please help to update the technote to include Backup Exec 2014. On top of that the issues has been around for last 7 months since March 2014. What is the result of investigation? 

Can Symantec provide an ETA of resolution?

Again this is another questions that I have question to Symantec regarding the quality control and lack of response from my another article and still waiting for the answer and response. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/when-deleting-job-job-history-its-associated-job-log-file-not-deleted-even-though-following-w

Can the quality control issues escalate to duty manager or internal quality control manager to follow up as my concern is this issues will not be resolved for another 2 years same as the TECH201425?

Regards,

Ag BC

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so you need to continue with your second link for your forum query. This is the only way to keep it live.

for your other queries, PM VJware or Colin Weaver and see if they can offer you some insight.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please be aware of a few of things:

1) TECH 216099 was written for BE 2012 and may not apply to BE2014 (and probably will not be fixed in BE 2012) Specifically this article was covering an issue where you have confimed that when the duplicate job ran the original backup sets were still present on disk and their catalog files still existed (in other words you can still restore from the on disk backup set that could not be duplicated) As such if you experience this in BE 2014 then please log a formal support case for us to investigate.

2) The error message in TECH216099 is not always a product issue as it can be caused by not understanding the retention settings for the original backup sets in order to make sure that they are definitely still available when the duplicate job runs. As such if you are not sure how to verify that it is not being caused by user configurable settings then I suggest you log a support case. 

As an example if you do the following backups to disk or dedup with duplication jobs as well:

Weekly full

Duplicate of weekly Full

Daily Differential Day1

Daily Differential Day2

Daily Differential Day3

Daily Differential Day4

Daily Differential Day5

Duplicate of Daily Differentials

Then if the retention of your daily differentials is only 1 day than the duplicate job will fail.  If you experience something like this This is not the issue documented in TECH216099 as it is just a configuration problem.

Note: This may also happen if you run a duplicate after every job but for some reason one of the duplicate jobs was missed or failed to run. (you may want to investgate why a duplicate may have been missed that triggered the problem)

3) We have enhanced BE2014 such that you should no longer see scenario 2 (or related scenarios) as such if you see this in BE 2014 it could be a new problem and we need to hear from you with a formal support case.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Ag BC,

Is there any update with this?

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec,

I have logged a support case yesterday. Our environment is backup Exec 2014 (Hotfix 218257) and is installed on Windows 2012 Physical server with 2 HP Tape Library. The error in TECH216099 is first time appear in our duplicate backup job and we have no changes in configuration recently. I also confirmed both media Monday1 and Monday 2 were earsed before the backup. 

Because of another support case (V-79-57344-41488 . Catalog files missing in backup.) that is not fix release and I have to perform extensive database repair and catrebuildindex EVERY WEEK to prevent data (catalog) loss per baseline engineer instruction. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH225184

So I have performed the extensive database repaired and catrebuildindex on Monday morning but it still experience error mention above.

I also confirmed our daily incremental backup retention is set for 6 days. The more importantly is the duplicate backup was working in the past and no configuration changes was made recently. 

The way we backup our data is as following:
VM backup directly to Library 1 Tape Weekly Full Tape A (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) Once all Job 6 is completed, schedule Duplicate job start at set time to duplicate Library 1 Tape Weekly Full Tape A  (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) to Library 2 Tape Weekly Full Tape B (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6)

VM backup directly to Library 1 Tape Monday Incremental  Tape A (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) Once all Job 6 is completed, schedule Duplicate job start at set time to duplicate Library 1 Tape Monday Incremental Tape A  (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) to Library 2 Tape Monday Incremental Tape B (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6)

Same apply to Tuesday to Thursday as above setting...

The answer in point 1 is a bit surpise to me as a Symantec customer with support contract. "TECH 216099 was written for BE 2012 and may not apply to BE2014 (and probably will not be fixed in BE 2012)" What if the Backup Exec 2012 customers still under maintenance support contract and not willing to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 and expect a fix to be release for TECH216099? They will not have a fixes for their product according to your answer even they paid for the meintenance support contract? If this is the case, can I assume the issue TECH225184, TECH201425, TECH223700 may not be resolved in this Backup Exec 2014 Edition and wait for Backup Exec 202x to see the resolution?  

Since Symantec mention in point 1 TECH216099 probably will not be fixed in BE 2012, will Symantec update the TECH216099 to notify all Backup Exec 2012 customers who subscribe to this issues so they know it will not be fixed in BE2012 instead of hoping the fix will release in the near future?

I have multiple cases open for months with Symantec and still waiting for resolution and it has been long wait without resolution or fix.

Hope you can assist.

Regards,

Ag BC

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you going to stick with BE 2012 forever?

Ag_BC
Level 4

I will wait for Symantec response to my questions in my previous post. Also if you read my article carefully I am already on Backup Exec 2014. My actual concern and also all the Symantec customers concern is how Symantec provide support to the products still under support maintenance. Another conern is how is my current issues will be resolved? Same experience with BE 2012 customers, I may have to wait for BE202X to have my current issues to be resolved. Also The issues in BE2012 still not resolved in BE2014. Let see when it will be resolved.

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec,

I have logged a support case yesterday. Our environment is backup Exec 2014 (Hotfix 218257) and is installed on Windows 2012 Physical server with 2 HP Tape Library. The error in TECH216099 is first time appear in our duplicate backup job and we have no changes in configuration recently. I also confirmed both media Monday1 and Monday 2 were earsed before the backup. 

Because of another support case (V-79-57344-41488 . Catalog files missing in backup.) that is not fix release and I have to perform extensive database repair and catrebuildindex EVERY WEEK to prevent data (catalog) loss per baseline engineer instruction. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

So I have performed the extensive database repaired and catrebuildindex on Monday morning but it still experience error mention above.

I also confirmed our daily incremental backup retention is set for 6 days. The more importantly is the duplicate backup was working in the past and no configuration changes was made recently. 

The way we backup our data is as following:
VM backup directly to Library 1 Tape Weekly Full Tape A (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) Once all Job 6 is completed, schedule Duplicate job start at set time to duplicate Library 1 Tape Weekly Full Tape A  (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) to Library 2 Tape Weekly Full Tape B (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6)

VM backup directly to Library 1 Tape Monday Incremental  Tape A (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) Once all Job 6 is completed, schedule Duplicate job start at set time to duplicate Library 1 Tape Monday Incremental Tape A  (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6) to Library 2 Tape Monday Incremental Tape B (Job1, Job 2, Job 3, Job 4, Job 5, Job 6)

Same apply to Tuesday to Thursday as above setting...

The answer in point 1 is a bit surpise to me as a Symantec customer with support contract. "TECH 216099 was written for BE 2012 and may not apply to BE2014 (and probably will not be fixed in BE 2012)" What if the Backup Exec 2012 customers still under maintenance support contract and not willing to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 and expect a fix to be release for TECH216099? They will not have a fixes for their product according to your answer even they paid for the meintenance support contract? If this is the case, can I assume the issue TECH225184, TECH201425, TECH223700 may not be resolved in this Backup Exec 2014 Edition and wait for Backup Exec 202x to see the resolution?  

Since Symantec mention in point 1 TECH216099 probably will not be fixed in BE 2012, will Symantec update the TECH216099 to notify all Backup Exec 2012 customers who subscribe to this issues so they know it will not be fixed in BE2012 instead of hoping the fix will release in the near future?

I have multiple cases open for months with Symantec and still waiting for resolution and it has been long wait without resolution or fix.

Hope you can assist.

Regards,

Ag BC

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

With regards Your issues the best way to work them is through your support cases, especially as it is possible that one of your issues is affecting another (Duplication relies on catalogs and you have stated you have a separate case for problems with catalogs for instance.)

With regards whether or not we might fix issues in BE 2012 - we look at each problem identified with older versions and then have to make a decision on whether or not it can be fixed in that version, This decision can be affected by criticality of the issue, technical requirements of the issue and business requirements. As such whilst we make efforts to identify and fix problems in all supported versions we do reserve the option that it may only be addressed in the current version. This is why there are maintenance agreements to receive updated licenses built into the support offerings and also why due to various timeframes against BE 2012 we have run some promotional offers involving maintenance if yours has expired.

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symanetc,

Yes, I have a seperate case open for the catalog issues. I also have the engineer team open the TECHNOTE. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH225184 Now you can see Symantec support can link 1 issues to another but unable to provide ETA when the other issues will be fixed as I have to perform extensive database repair every week. This is given frastruction to everyone.

Base on the response above, this make concern to me as Symantec customer. As an example of http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH201425 has been opened for almost 2 years, and another one http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216099&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1414449026440 has been opened for 7 months, both TECH NOTE was opened when Backup Exec 2012 still current and a lot of Backup Exec 2012 customers would expect will be fixed.

Now is we are Backup Exec 2014 and issues still not resolve and the answer given me an expectation issues will keep remain and rolling over to next version. How can Symantec assure this issues will be fixed in current version in a timely manner?  I am already on Backup Exec 2014 (current version) and I have existing support maintenance contract as I still have 1.5 years to suffer before the maintenance contract is expired.

The actual concern and also all the Symantec customers concern is how Symantec provide support to the products still under support maintenance contract to make sure fix to be provided in a timely manner

Regards,

Ag BC

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec

After update to BE2014 SP2, I still experience the same issues. This issues first occur on 26-Oct-2014 and reoccur again on 21-Jan-2015. In between I don't see any issues as I was running extensive database repair every week per another open cases Backline engineer request.

Unable to determine ADAMM media identification.  Catalog query failed.
Job ended: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:52:27 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found.  Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37956

Again this is a known issues in Backup Exec 2012. I am not understand why Symantec support unable to resolve the issues and keep letting issues rollover the next few version. It has given the customers and users the expectation Symantec is either unwilling or unable to support resolve the known issues. Symantec closed my case on 1-Dec-2014 treat it as resolved and after request to reopen the case without any response. I end up to raise complain to Symantec forum in order to have the case reopen. I would like Symantec to take a look the issues seriously and provide the outcome and resolution of TECH216099 to show everyone the ability and willing to resolve the issues.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216099&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1414449026440

I have a case