cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec support probably WILL NOT FIX their TECH216099 issue in BE2012 and not sure BE2014.

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec

Refering to the article I post to Symantec below, I have experienced identical issue in TECH216099 on my BE2014 that is with same error message from BE2012 customers and when I log a support case they advise this is BE2014 product so I have to do the troubleshooting from scratch again as the issues is for BE2012. I have sent them the logs and advise the log level is not enough so I have to restart the painful debugging process and wait for issues reoccuring and going backward and forward with Symantec support that can take another months.

In this forum link below: Symantec also response: 1) TECH 216099 was written for BE 2012 and may not apply to BE2014 (and probably will not be fixed in BE 2012) 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplicate-vmware-backups-fail-unable-determine-adamm-media-identification-catalog-query-faile

My concern is if the issues is not fixed in BE2012 and the issues is carried on to BE2014. Now I have to restart all the troubleshooting and log collection with Symantec as they already have enough information to open the TECH216099 with BE2012. Also in the past for another TECH201425 that has been opened for almost 2 years, I am facing the same issues. I call up with Symantec support, report the issues that I find is identical to the TECH201425 has been identified is a known issues not yet fix in BE2012 (SAME SITUATION TO THIS ONE). The Symantec support insist to do a log collection and go through a lengthly process for the debug, troubleshooting for weeks and without update until I push to Baseline Engineer and Duty Manager. Over the phone they then admit the issues not yet fix in BE2012 has been carried over to to BE2014. I have to insist the to update the product to included BE2014 and it take almost a month for them to update the TECH201425 to include BE2014 as affected product.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/when-deleting-job-job-history-its-associated-job-log-file-not-deleted-even-though-following-w

Now for TECH216099 I have to go through the same process again??? Isn't this is a known issues already without fixing it by Symantec in previous version BE2012 that probably will not be fixed and the issues is now been carried over again to BE2014? Why symantec customer has to suffer twice to go through the lengthly and painful symantec support process since a TECH216099 has been issues and is understand investigation by Symantec. It has been pending for outcome of the investigation according to the article for past 7 months. What is the outcome of the investigation?

This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. 

Regards,

Ag BC

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to address this with them directly as this is a public forum.

Best bet (and I suspect I've mentioned this before!) is to PM VJware or Colin Weaver and see if they can assist.

Thanks!

Ag_BC
Level 4

CraigV

I definely has communicate with VJware and Colin Weaver as you can see them response to my other post. I also have a support case open. I am sure Symantec is aware of this.

If you have read my other post this message is from Symantec Employee Colin Weaver: "TECH 216099 was written for BE 2012 and may not apply to BE2014 (and probably will not be fixed in BE 2012) "

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplicate-vmware-backups-fail-unable-determine-adamm-media-identification-catalog-query-faile

Thanks

Ag BC

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Internally the engineering escalation for TECH216099 has debug logs attached which help identify if another customer has the same condition.

Error message 0xe0009444 can have multiple causes so until debug logs from your systems are compared with the internal information both us and you have no way to confirm that your current issue is the one documented in TECH216099. In an ideal world every possible cause for an error would result in a unique error code, however in practice this is impossible to achieve as you cannot predict that ever changing software environments won't return unexpected responses back to the program you are responsbile for. As such, you do have to work with the engineer in your support case in providing logs so that we can confirm if it is a match

At the moment:

1) We do not know if you do have the same cause for the error (which might mean same symptom but new problem)

2) We do not know if the same issue is still present in 2014 as we have not been able to confirm that your condition is a match. An internal search against cases linked to the engineering escalation in TECH216099 shows only the original case as being confirmed as having the same debugging results and we have no BE 2014 cases confirmed as a match.

3) if it is not a match (even though the error is the same) then you may have a completely new, unidentified problem and it may also be that the original 2012 issue is fixed (or not being seen in your environment so not applicable.)

As such please continue working via your support case with the owning engineer 

Ag_BC
Level 4

Symantec Support is very bad services and unable to help. Symantec close out my case without my consent. Again this is expected and is Symantec services level.. I will keep update this post to make it until my issues is resolved. 

As for the TECH216099 Symantec refuse to fix the issues in BE2012 and I am experience the issues in BE2014. I request Symantec to fix the issues but they refuse and insist to open a case which I did. After on going logging I am waiting for issues to reoccur. The Support team just close my case without my consent. I request to have the case re-open again. This has happened to me all the time and I known they will do it again.

-------my comment in previous post --------------------------------------------------

Now for TECH216099 I have to go through the same process again??? Isn't this is a known issues already without fixing it by Symantec in previous version BE2012 that probably will not be fixed and the issues is now been carried over again to BE2014? Why symantec customer has to suffer twice to go through the lengthly and painful symantec support process since a TECH216099 has been issues and is understand investigation by Symantec. It has been pending for outcome of the investigation according to the article for past 7 months. What is the outcome of the investigation?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Symantec What now? You close my case becase the case open for too long? Becase the issue not reoccuring soon enough for me to provide you the logs? So the engineer can mark the case as resolve and keep up their services and resolution rating? I don't want to go through all the first level, advance level and explain all the issues again. I will need Symantec to re-open my case. The case number last 3 digit is end with 779. You can search my account.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I know most of the times with severe issues Symantec asks a lot of logs and it seems they are just stalling or something...BUT when they finally have all logs needed most of the times they come out with a solution or temporary fix. That's just my experience... But you have to know that you need them to get this fixed so try and stay polite and work with them.

What Colin says is probably true, most errors have different causes. So help them in confirming your theory and then they will fix it. You have to understand that they can't just start advanced troubleshooting for every case that is being logged...

If they keep closing your case then get hold of a Duty Manager and note his name, everytime they close it you get back to him. Don't get bounced around on duty managers, keep the one guy and make him fix it.

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec has closed my case xxx0480 and xxx60692 without my consent. I understand there is a new SP2 release indicate will resolve the issues and I am planning to update it via live update when it is available. How can Symantec close my case without checking with me? I have not implement and test the resolution, I request to reopen both case. I have email the case owner Amrit Alok to reqeust case to be reopened but did not receive any response.

Symantec support please reopen the case for me until I confirm the issues is resovled.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...call them back and escalate, and if they don't reopen, escalate again. At times you need to be hard-assed about things to get a definitive resolution.

Thanks!

Ag_BC
Level 4

Hi Symantec

After update to BE2014 SP2, I still experience the same issues. This issues first occur on 26-Oct-2014 and reoccur again on 21-Jan-2015. In between I don't see any issues as I was running extensive database repair every week per another open cases Backline engineer request.

Unable to determine ADAMM media identification.  Catalog query failed.

Job ended: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:52:27 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found.  Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37956

Again this is a known issues in Backup Exec 2012 and still not been fixed. I am not understand why Symantec support unable to resolve the issues and keep letting issues rollover the next few version. It has given the customers and users the expectation Symantec is either unwilling or unable to support resolve the known issues. Symantec closed my case for this issues on 1-Dec-2014 treat it as resolved and after request to reopen the case without any response. I end up to raise complain to Symantec forum in order to have the case reopen. I would like Symantec to take a look the issues seriously and provide the outcome and resolution of TECH216099 to show everyone the ability and willing to resolve the issues.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216099&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1414449026440