cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to Tape using Exchange GRT with HotFix11 Still Fails!

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I updated the media server as well as redeployed the agent to Exchange 2003 SP2 and restarted. When using GRT and duplicating a successful backup-to-disk to tape it fails with the following error:

Job ended: Thursday, February 08, 2007 at 4:45:59 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33029

This job runs between two other backups, the first one finishes successfully, this one fails and the third runs successfully, so it is not a media or drive issue.

All the backup-to-disk jobs run successfully before duplicating to tape including this one so there is no bad data in the job.

Our exchange backups are nearing 200gb in one site and 80gb in another site (both exhibit this failure) and it takes to long to get a legacy backup of each mailbox. This was the touted feature with this product and it still does not work correctly. I am getting disapointed to say the least.

I created brand new policy for the exchange job by the way, this is not a left over job prior to hotfix 11.
16 REPLIES 16

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
This is still an issue. Can we expect to hear of a solution?

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I have talked to two other counter-parts who are also experiencing this same issue and also can verify that applying hotfix 11 has not solved the problem with GRT backups being duplicated from disk to tape being resolved.

When can us larger mailbox customers with no other choice but to backup this way expect this to be resolved.

sly_upah
Level 4
I would like to see this resolved also. Not so much that i dont have room on the media server's b2d folders to store a few backups, but i would like to have tape archival for off-site storage purposes. The best i have seen it do was backup to tape, and get full byte count backing up, but the job fails because it could not be verified.

Samo_Almood
Not applicable
We are also having the exact same issue with our clustered 2003 exchange servers, ive gone to the extent of completely reinstalling the whole product including all remote agents and installing hotfix 11 and i have exactly the same issue where it fails to duplicate to tape. in fact its slower backing up to disk. I WANT A REFUND !!!!!

Jesus_Cavazos
Not applicable
Same issue here. It looks like an Exchange backup issue.

sly_upah
Level 4
I have opened a support case with an engineer to try to find out how to fix this.

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Wish we could get a valid answer.

Henning_Ankarud
Not applicable
Anyone had any luch with this?

I have same issue when duplicate exchange backups

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
From the number of Symantec posts in this thread, it appears they are very concerned.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Dennis,
Please don't mistake our lack of a response as a lack of caring. We missed this thread and do apologize for the oversight. That being said, this issue is under investigation and there is a techntoe on the subject:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287342
This technote will be updated as additional information is found on why this issue occurs and how to fix it.
The working theory at the moment is that there is something about some of the mail messages that is causing the problem. One of the issues we have always had with mailbox and mail message backups is getting all of the data accurately. In any given mail message there may be dozens of attributes that makeup that mail message. unfortunately, MAPI doesn't always track those attributes in a consumable manner, so as we try to gather everythig to make sure we have all of the data backed up correctly, MAPI returns an error saying there is something wrong with the message. In the past, problems with the mailboxes and messages manifested themselves on the backup side. Because GRT now just makes a direct copy of the Exchange databases, most of the message processing takes place either on restore or on duplicates. It is important to realize that in all cases we have seen, the backup data is completely intact, there is just a problem with the MAPI interaction, so my point is that your data is not at risk.

It is important for all of our customers to realize data protection is our business, and in developing Backup Exec, we always err on the side of caution wherever possible. We know it is frustrating to run into errors and failed backups, but we do make every effort to make Backup Exec reliable, trustworthy and to be the product our users want.
Please keep the feedback coming, and watch the technote I mentioned for updates on this issue.
Thank you,
Daniel

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
It would stil be nice to have a solution to this very common problem.

Mirko_Thiesen
Not applicable
Okay,

we're experiencing the same problem here. While I appreciate your directness, Daniel, I don't think you're right when you're saying that our data is not at risk as it's only the B2D operation that completes successfully. The Duplicate job fails, meaning that we currently don't have a full backup on tape. So if there's anything we can try out here, please let us know!

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Mirko

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
Hmmm....

"...so my point is that your data is not at risk..."

I beg to differ, and if I were a dealer, I'd warned all the customers to stay well away from Backup Exec 11d.

With all the hot fixes in place, especially with HotFix #11, it still does not resolve the missing mailbox during restoration after a full backup to tape.

After a full backup to tape, and you CANNOT restore that individual's mail item from his/her mailbox from tape using GRT is considered a "HIGH RISK" and any Sys Admin found saying it "is not at risk" will be shot dead on the spot or dismissed from his/her duties immediately from the Execs. Plain and simple.

Moving from BE v10.1d to a broken v11d is a RISK already. Either stay on BE v10.1d or move to Microsoft's DPM.

Should Microsoft finalize their DPM before BE 11d is fully fixed, we're thinking of moving to Microsoft.

Steve_Rick
Level 3
We ourselves have already been running DPM v2 Beta's for the past five months just for this reason. We can longer put our faith in BackupExec and especially since Symantec has taken over the quality of the product has dropped by half. Its unfortunate we invested over 75,000 in licensing across our organization on this product. In hindsite, yes we should have purchased only a couple licenses and tested the crap out of it, but how could someone anticipate these kind of problems with a NEW release of the SAME old product?

Overall very frustrated and who knows how long we can expect to wait to see some real FIXES that actually WORK come along.

Say Kingsley, have I seen you dabbling around the Dell forums, specifically in the storage forum?

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
Steve,

That is correct. I do participate in the Dell forum as well because we use Dell EMC AX 150i here.

We came across slow data throughput to and from the SAN. After a few tweaks with Dell, which by the way were VERY helpful and on top of the issues unlike some, the slow data throughput issue was resolved.

All that's left is with BE's slow data throughput to the SAN and other outstanding issues relating to Hot Fix #11.

We are currently still on BE v10.1d as our main backup. In our test environment we have Microsoft DPM v2 BETA 1 and BE 11d.

Microsoft's DPM has a lot of potential--data throughput is FAST to the SAN. They need to work on the "Invalid Replica" issue and Exchange part to make their version of the GRT a one step process instead of the Exmerge method. Too many steps involved just to pull out the mail item(s).

Brian_Hammer_2
Level 5
So has anybody been able to successfully make a duplicate exchange GRT backup to tape?  I've been trying since Dec 06!  I need to be able to restore public information store items, everything I've tried over the past 8.5 months has failed.  How long has this program been out and it's still not fixed?  Do something Symantec!!!