cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESX Backup with GRT option

topokin
Level 3

I have Backup Exec 2010 R2 configured on Windows Server 2008 R2. AVVI agent and the required API from VMware are licensed and configured. The Backup Exec itself is installed on a physical system. I am able to backup both the physical and VMs, and was able to restore a single file in a VM. However, I am faced with an error message relating to "V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec files to connect to virtual machine .... and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup."

I have crosschecked my configuration and also test if the credentials are working fine, but still can locate the cause of the error. GRT option is only enabled for AD and SQL for the VMs. Backup agent is installed on the VMs.

Any idea where I should look further?

Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure the media server can name resolve the vritual machiens you are backing up and also install the Backup Exec remote agent software inside the virtual machhine (no extra licenses needed if you have an AVVI license)

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you receive the "V-79-57344-38726"-error from one VM or from all ?

topokin
Level 3

The name resolution (ping and nslookup) work fine from the media server and the VMs are even listed under "Favorite Resouces". Backup Exec remote agent is in installed and running inside the virtual machine

topokin
Level 3

I get the error message on all VMS. I normally connect with ESXi credential to the VMs within the backup and test indicates successful result. Is this an appropriate procedure or I have to use the Windows credential of the VMs?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

topokin
Level 3

I have once looked at the technote and observed that I do not have the possibility to change credential of individual VM. I can select them, but the only option available is "Test All", all other options are gray.

I am only able to use the change option when the ESXi host or "ha-datacenter" underneath it is selected. The ESXi "root" account is used for the host and "System Logon Account" is used for the "ha-datacenter, but the test still pass-thru as successful on the VMs underneath "ha-datacenter.

What I will however like to state also is that the BE services run under the credential of the Media Server LocalAdmin credentials and I believe that is what is being referred to as "System Logon Account. I might have to change the ServiceAccount to a DomainAccount that has AdminPriviledge on all System.

I have enabled debugging on one of the VM to see what error will be logged.

I will get back on my outcome.

Thanks for the assistance

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK the test will staill pass as if Application GRT is NOT involved then you don't need a specific windows login to backup the VM in question

Are you selecting individual VMs in yoru selection list or the complete Ha_Datacenter as Chaneg shoudl be availabel when you click on the VMs as seen in the TECH article.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've had something similar to this in the past.

Try the following:

• Add the ESXi Server to your domain
  • In vSphere add a Domain Admin Account as full ESXi Administrator
  • Specify also create this user as logon account in BE and specify this account for BE to authenticate against the ESXi server

Then try the backup again

topokin
Level 3

I am able to select individual VM, but I only have the change button availabe if I select the ESXi host or the ha-datacenter. 

topokin
Level 3

I have eventually been able to trace the problem to credential and the inability to be able to select individual login.

The problem was that I normally select the ESXi host when creating backup job and this automatically select whatever is underneath (ha-datacenter and VMs). With this procedure, there was no way to individual set different credential for VMs. What I did was to deselect the ESXi host and select the VMs individually, then is the "Change" option is available.

I have now been able to overcome the V-79-57344-38726 error, but I might at the end disable the GRT option. Since I have AD and SQL on a VM, this is now soliciting for both AD Recovery and MSSQL agents. My understanding now is the GRT option is of no used without licensing these extra agents.

Thanks for all your assistance