cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notifications - Do not work

Cep
Level 3

Hi,

I am beginning to feel that this is a bug with Symantec since 11d as email notifications do not work at all.

Having read numerous articles about this issue, no one has yet been able to find or post a fix to the problem. I have set up notifications on three different servers 2 running 12.5 and 1 running 11d. All have Mcafee with the port blockers turned off. I can telnet mail, I can relay mail, I can create my own php scripts and send mail from them also, yet Symantec does nothing. In fact Exchange does not even receive a message from any server including itself when a test of the SMTP settings are given from backupexec.

I have even installed a test environment on a Windows 2003 R2 standard server with no anti-virus and have allowed annonymous open relay to the server (something no one would ever do!) and whilst every other program under the sun will SMTP without issue, Symantec does nothing.

I can hardly believe that Symantec is not aware of this as an issue and doe's not consider it a bug in their software. I would like to hear of any fix, if there is one and if there isn't when will this issue will be resolved because if something isn't done I'll be telling all our parent and sister companies not to bother with this product in future.

Message Edited by Cep on 02-09-2009 08:54 AM
3 REPLIES 3

southtampaadmin
Level 3

Hi,

I do not know what you have already tried, so disregard if you've already done this.  

I couldn't get the email notification to work for the longest time as well.  While I was checking the option off, and adding the contacts in my actual job setup, I never actual the the notifications up in the program itself.

Tools, email and pager notification, and then set up your SMTP mail server info.  You can test it on the spot.

Also, I was getting a wierd error once regarding email notifications and the fix was to actually install office (with outlook of course) on the server that was running backup exec.

Cep
Level 3

Hi thank you for the reply it is much appreciated.

I have however also done as you say since this has been the setup since before Symantec took over BackupExec. Veritas 10 worked perfectly it just seems since Symantec got hold of BackExec this feature no longer works.

I seriously hope that Symantec do not expect you to install office and especially Outlook on any server for this feature to work, considering how much of a security risk that is, and against all best practices with regards to network servers.

Lively
Level 5

Works fine here.  I was using 11d 7170 and had no issues and am now on 12.5 with no issues with notifications. 

Office is not installed on either Media server.  We have the emails being sent to a "backup" distribution list that goes to myself and a few others.

After looking at my settings we just had to point to the smtp server via ip and it works.  You may need to follow up with an email admin to make sure everything is set to route correctly.