cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Automatic Cancellation fails

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi, when using the 'Enable Automatic Cancellation' option I find it is erratic in operation.

I set it to stop the job after 8 hours - meaning something is wrong so the job should be stopped.

e.g. If previous jobs have timed out properly , such as due to no tape in the drive (users can't be bothered) then when they do put a tape in and, say, the job exceeds 1 tape, it sits there and doesnt cancel (there are reasons why I dont want it to go to another tape).

Other times it will cancel. Anyone ever use this option?

Im fingding more and more bugs with 9.1 anyone know if 8.6 runs with 2003?
3 REPLIES 3

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Amorphous,

Does this job finish before 8 hours? Is there any time span for automatic cancellation? What all do you see under Active Alerts?

And windows 2003 doesn't support 8.6. You can reffer to the following Tech note.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237486.htm

Thanks

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Amorphous_Sage
Level 4
Hi,

1. If the jobs runs ok it completes in about 3 hours

2. If there is too much data to fit on the tape OR there is no tae the job will go over 8 hours (as the job is waiting)

3. If the job goes over 8 hours it doesn't cancel properly; typically:

i) first job: a tape is not in the drive: the job will time-out correctly

ii) subsequent job: tape capacity is reached but job does not time out

Its the combination of sucsessive time out events that causes Backup Exec to fail and ignore the automatic job cancellation.

So, to clarify, it will typically work once then fail.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any active alerts?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.