cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post-command is always executed

Juan_Carlos_Utr
Level 2
We are now testing v.10 and we have found some troubles with the execution of pre and post-commands.
We have created a backup job with a pre and a post-command, with the following options:
- Allow pre- and post-commands to be successful only if completed with a return code of zero.
- Run job only if pre-command is successful.
- Run post-command only if pre-command is successful.
- Run post-command after job verification completes.

So we have decided not to execute the post-command if job fails.

We have executed the job and we have found two problems:
1) The backup is executed even if the pre-process returns an error
2) The post-command is executed even if the backup returns an error.

The first problem can be related with the return code of the pre-command, so we will try to find what is happenning. But the second problem makes no sense to us, cause Veritas knows that the Backup returns an error and it executes the post-command when we have said not to do it if the job fails.

Can anyone help us? How can we stop the post-command execution if the backup fails?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-What is the error in Job log
-What are the commands set to..
-Is the job verify successful (check in job log )

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Juan_Carlos_Utr
Level 2
Hi,

It�s not a problem with the backup error. The problem is the fact that the post-command is executed even when there�s a backup error.

If you force Veritas to finish with an error (job completion status: Failed) and you have defined a post-command without marking the option "Run post-command even if job fails", this job is supposed not to run, but it does run.

What can I do to avoid this post-command from executing if the backup fails?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What are the pre and post commands used ?

- Does the job log show an error related to the pre and post command ?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Juan_Carlos_Utr
Level 2
Hello,

This is the situation. I define a job with a post-command. I want to execute the post-command only if the job succeeds.

How can I do that?

I have made some tests, and the post-command always executes: when the job succeeds and when the job fails.

MY PROBLEM IS NOT THE FACT THAT THE BACKUP FAILS.
MY PROBLEM IS THE FACT THAT THE POST-COMMAND EXECUTES EVEN WHEN THE BACKUP FAILS.

So, I think it has nothing to do with what the backup or the post-command do. It has to do with how Veritas controls when the post-command has to be executed.

Thank you,

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

To prevent Backup Exec from running the post command if the backup fails,
please refer to the following technote.
Technote: How to prevent Backup Exec 8.x from running a "Post Command" if
the job fails
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238767.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Juan_Carlos_Utr
Level 2
Hello,

We are working with version 10, not 8.x, so I suppose this technote won�t give us the solution.

Thanks.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Can you please check if the registry key "Job - Run Post Command If Job Fails" under HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc is set to 1?

If it is set to 1, please change it to 0 and test the backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.