cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End Marker Unreadable

John_Ware
Not applicable
We are using Backup Exec 10d SP2. Without warning our backup jobs began to fail and the media is getting 'end marker unreadable' assigned to it. We are running BE on a Windows 2003 R2 server and using a IBM 3582 with an LTO3 tape drive. Found out that the job is failing on one of our remote servers in the selection list. I can backup the each volume indivdually Ok on this remote server but when I run a complete system state backup the job fails. I worked with IBM and replaced all our hardware, update drivers and firmware without success so it can't be hardware. I have also reinstalled BE and applied all updates. I have spoken to Symantec technical support who told me it was a hardware error which it can't be as I have replaced it all. I even reinstalled BE on another server with the same result. And yes I have tried http://support.veritas.com/docs/274858. I have also eliminated the tapes as I have tried to run the job on new tapes with the same result. We are backing up 8 servers without error and this server is the only one causing greif. Any help would be appreaciated.
1 REPLY 1

Niall_Davis_2
Level 4
I had a similar problem with a DAT72 drive.

Apparently I had fixed the problem with a service pack update, but the symptoms didn't go away.
I had to erase all the tapes which removes all the markers.

You may have already fixed the problem but just need to erase that tapes.

Of course it could be something completely different but I thought I would mention what I did in my case.

Thanks,

Niall.