cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Useful Life

Tony_Pittman
Level 3
How does Backup Exec 9.1 determine the useful life for a DAT 72 tape, and is that configurable? I receive a Warning that a Dat 72 tape has reached the end of its useful life, but it only shows 41 total mounts, 211GB written, 176GB read, and Certance says here: http://selfservice.talisma.com/article.asp?article=2167&p=11
that a DAT 72 tape should be good for 250 backups.
8 REPLIES 8

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-Please update us on the detail Info on device and tape
-Also what is the exact error ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Tony_Pittman
Level 3
Thank you for your response. Here's the error:

Warning - The tape cartridge has reached the end of its calculated useful life:
1. Copy any data you need to another tape
2. Discard the old tape.
Robotic Library: Autoloader
Drive: Tape Drive
Slot: 3

It's a certance Dat-72 tape and a certance CDL432LWEF-S 6 slot autoloader. Backup Exec 9.1 has it listed as product ID Python 06241-XXX

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Tony,

This error(flag) of Industry Standard Tape Alert Error Flags.
These flags are generated when a storage software application queries the tape device, and any errors that may be encountered during a device operation are reported in the log file.
The Tape Alert codes are designed for single tape
drives and autoloaders.
There are also most likely chances of the media being bad.

As a preliminary step, or to isolate the issue between the backup application and the media, we request you to replace the media with a fresh one.
If the issue gets resolved, then the media is bad.

You may also try downloading and Installing the latest drivers from the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm
We hope this clarifies your query.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.Message was edited by:
Amruta Bhide

Tony_Pittman
Level 3
I have about 7 different tapes that have given me that message over the last week, all added to the media rotation at about the same time.

Of course replacing it with fresh media is going to eliminate the error since the error states that BE9.1 thinks the media has reached the end of its projected life.

My concern is that, according to the tape and drive mfg, the tape is not at it's end of life as far as I can tell.

The new tapes that I have added to the software for other backups are not generating that message.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Tony,
- Please check the number of read/write errors on the tapes int he tape properties.

- Running a cleanup of the tape and the drive periodically should help prolong the lives of the tapes.
- Please contact your hardware manufacturer for the life expectancy of your tapes and other hardware.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Tony_Pittman
Level 3
I run the cleaning tape through the drive every two weeks.

There are some soft write errors recorded for that tape, but my understanding is that is normal. There are no hard write errors or hard read errors.

My very first post has a link to the hardware manufacturer's expectancy for the tapes and hardware, and I even quoted it. That expectancy has not been reached, which prompted me to start this support thread.

Are you able to tell me how Backup Exec 9.1 determines the useful life of a tape so I can determine if that information is relevant? Right now, I'm getting the impression it's either an arbitrary number or no one knows how it's calculated.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello!

In regards to the tape life, VERITAS/Symantec
does not have information regarding the different tape manufactures media
life expectancy or shelf life. Media life expectancy is different from
manufacturer to manufacturer. You may be able to find information with the
documentation which comes with the media.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tony_Pittman
Level 3
I'm aware of that, and it has already been stated earlier in this thread, but thank you for emphasizing that.

The media manufacturer did not generate the alert, Backup Exec 9.1 did. How did Backup Exec 9.1 decide it was time to alert me?