Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erase tape failed

chaivc
Level 3

Dear all,

I'm using a Hp autoloader 1/8 ultrium 448, I 'm using backup exec version 10,

I have problem with erasing tape for my backup job, I got this error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. when I check the event viewer the event ID is 34113.

Any one can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Yes it would be in place upgrade so you will not loose any of your existing job

So please upgrade it to BE 10d 5629 & then sp5

Please mark this as solved if this resolves the issue

Thank You

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

What happens when you run an inventory or a backup job.

Check the system log for event id's like 7, 9 or 11.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

1 Can you please disable the hp services in services for windows to avoid conflict with backupexec please disable specifically hp sotrage agent & hp foundation agent service

2 Do one power cycle like shutdown the computer & library & then turn the library on wait for it to be intialized & then turn on backup server to see if that works

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I'd suggest getting hold of HP's Library and Tape Tools from their website. Download it, and once done, stop BE's services. You need to use LTT to perform a tape erase. A tape needs to be loaded manually via the software too, but this will show more clearly if you have a problem with the tape, BE or the hardware.

If the tape erases in LTT, check to make sure it is usable in BE, and try erasing another tape in BE itself. If that fails, post the details.

If the tape erase fails, perform a test of the hardware in LTT. This will show whether or not the drive is faulty. Chances are good it is.

I haven't seen ANY HP services conflict with BE...that's also to say you're running on a ProLiant that has those services installed via the SmartStart setup CD.

Laters!

chaivc
Level 3

Hi,

I have shutdown and start back my server and autoloader, now I cannot do inventory, the job status show 'ready, no idle devices are available', but my devices for the tape drive show ready.

AmolB

Check the library and make sure that the tape is not stucked in the drive.

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

If you have a service with the name "HP INSIGHT STORAGE AGENTS" disable it, and any corresponding services it wants to stop, Restart all Backup Exec services.

If this still does not help, run tapeinst.exe once and repush the device drivers.

Try pausing and unpausing the server from the devices tab once. Right click on the server name, pause and wait for about a minute, relaunch BE and unpause the device, give it a minute and fire up an inventory.

Can you inventory the device from its console on the hardware? Or from the web based console? If not, this is a device issue, If yes, the above should help you get the device going.

chaivc
Level 3

thank you all for your suggestion.

the autoloader is working now.

AmolB

how did u fix it.

chaivc
Level 3

I found out my problem still not solve, after 1 day, the tape drive cannot detect tape in BE whenever I load a backup tape into it, unless I restart the server.

I have tried to reconfigure the tapedrive in BE, but still not working. angry

CraigV

Hi there,

Did you get hold of HP LTT and check for any hardware errors? This will confirm whether or not you need to replace the drive. From my experience, those autoloaders are terrible.,, We had 30 of them, and are busy replacing them as quickly as possible. Most of the failures were due to faulty drives!

chaivc
Level 3

I have updated the hp and LTT, it was no error found. the backup can run after I restart my server and the tape was detected. I found out there is a "storage device configuration error" in the alerts, try to search the tape driver installer for BE ver 10. 0 Rev 5484 here, but could not found a suitable one, can someone kind enough to post a link for me. my server is running windows server 2003 standard.

thanks in advance

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please first of all upgrade your 10D to build 10d 5629 with sp4 for same please download the link below & then upgrade it to 5629 first & then install sp4 & then let me know if it works or not

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44023                --10d5629

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53335               --10d sp5

Thank You

chaivc
Level 3

just to confirm, when I upgrade the BE, will my backup job still exist after the upgrade?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Yes it would be in place upgrade so you will not loose any of your existing job

So please upgrade it to BE 10d 5629 & then sp5

Please mark this as solved if this resolves the issue

Thank You

CraigV

...just grab a copy of your Data + Catalogs folder.

The in-place upgrade can run into issues, and this generally affects the DB. Certainly in my experience when it does, you lose everything and have to recreate jobs, media sets etc from scratch again!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

the tape drive cannot detect tape in BE whenever I load a backup tape into it, unless I restart the server.

do you inventory/scan  the drive when you change tapes?