Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xa000fe30 with Shadow?Copy?Components

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

i've got 2 2003 Servers.
Server 1(DC) with Backup Exec 9.1 and Server 2 (Exchange) with the Remote Engine.
Each time I Backup the Shadow?Copy?Components from Server 2, i get the Error 0xa000fe30, telling me, that there was an Communication Error and furthermore it says "Connection to the target system lost."
Backing up Exchange and Shares from Server 2 works fine. Server 1 has no Problems backing up his Shadow?Copy?Components or other stuff.
I alss reinstalled the "aa" and "aofo" several times on Server 2. But noting changed.

thanx, C.Banck
15 REPLIES 15

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please apply service pack 4 and then observe the rsults:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279308

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

i installed that service pack and will check tonight if it works.

Concerning this service pack, why isn't it shown when i do "veritas update"? This happen at several BE9.1 installations. Only SP3 is shown as avaible update.

Regards, C.Banck

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello again,

i installed the sp4 and the backup failed again with the same error.
Any further ideas?

Regards, C.Banck

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
My experience has told me that when you have a problem with Shadow Copy Components it's not as much an error relating to Backup Exec, as it's with the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) of Windows 2003 Server.
(Perhaps it's not so in this case though, since I've also seen people having the same error message but pertaining to Exchange.)

There are a number of KB articles regarding VSS and with them a number of patches to try.

A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167/
(Incorporated in Win2003 Server SP1)

A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update-2 package is available:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887827
(I think that this patch contains the fixes of the first patch, but I'm not etirely certain. This patch is also incorporated in Win2003 Server SP1)

Time-out errors occur in Volume Shadow Copy service writers,...:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826936

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 list of updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824721/
(The first two listed patches are incorporated in SP1)

Update is available that fixes various Volume Shadow Copy Service issues in Windows Server 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891957
(Win2003 Server SP1 is required to install this patch)

I would try SP1 and the last patch.
Good Luck

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hi,

thank you for the links.
SP1 is already installed on both servers.
Now i installed the VSS updated and will have a look, if it works tonight.

Regards, C.Banck

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hi again,

it failed again. :(

In should be a Problem of Backup Exec, because i found an Error in the Event Log.
Event ID: 1000

aborted application beremote.exe, Version 9.1.4691.49, aborted Modul bedsshadow.dll, Version 9.1.4691.45, failure adress 0x00039e43.
(i translated it from german)

The Remote Engine is started under Local System Account and stopped after the backup try.

I read something like that here in the forum, but there was no solution told.

Regards, C.Banck

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
After you deployed SP4 for Backup Exec, did you reinstall your remote agents?

I don't know if this is necessary after an Service Pack upgrade, but I do know it's necessary if you upgrade Backup Exec from, for instance, 9.0 to 9.1.

It's VERY important that the Remote Agent is the same version as the main Backup Exec application.

So in this case your remote backups might fail because your're using NON-SP4 remote agents.

This is not something I'm completely sure about, but it's perhaps something worth trying.

I'm hoping that some Veritas/Symantec expert will correct me if I'm wrong.

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

yes i removed Veritas Remote Agent completly, than restarted and installed the Remote Agent and again restarted.
So this couldn't be the Problem.

Regards, C.Banck

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
Have you tried deselect the Shadow Copy Components from that job to see if it runs then, or if you get another error message?

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

no i didn't done that.
Though the other stuff on this Server is actually backuped and fails first when the Shadow Copy Components are tried to be backuped, it should go through with no errors.
But of course i want to backup the Shadow Copy Components also.

Regards, C.Banck

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
Hi

Ofcourse You wan't to backup Shadow Copy Components but since they're not backing correctly now you can just as well deselect for one night and see if you get another error message or if you get a Successful backup, and select again the next backup.

/Peter

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

ok i give it a try and will post tomorrow again.

Regards, C.Banck

Jennifer_Moore
Not applicable
I'm interested in if that worked or if you found a solution other than just not backing it up. I'm in the same boat. Backup Exec version 9.1 with Service pack 4 installed and all remote agents updated. Server 2003 also has all updates installed. Same exact error when it attempts to backup the Shadow Copy on the backup server itself. I'm hoping somebody found a solution or that maybe veritas can give a solution?

Thanks.

Christopher_Ban
Level 3
Hello,

no the Problem still persists and it is very annoying, furthermore I have another Server with an similar error.
I spend a lot of time to fix it and now I gave it up for the moment and will try another Backup Software.

Regards, C.Banck

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try taking a backup uisng ntbackup to isolate the cause of this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.