cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xe00084ef Media is write protected

altior
Level 2

Hi

We have been using Backup Exec 12 since it came out without a hitch. Recently we turned the whole system off and rebooted everything. Since then backup exec refuses to write. Any tape we put in errors saying the media is write protected.

It is exactly the same message as Document ID: 292736

Exact Error Message
Final error: 0xe00084ef - The media is write protected.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34031

And/or

Event ID 58059: "Media '%s' is write protected. The media in drive '%s' is currently locked. Unlock the write protect tab to write to this media." is reported in the Event Viewer Application Log and e00084d2 or a00084d2 is reported in the job log.

Nothing works, it is not the tab on the tape (we have tried many tapes), it is not the append rules (currently set to 0 hours) and it is not the permissions for the services because they have always been set to an admin account as specified.

We can run inventory, eject - all the commands that do not require writing without a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
Have you tried an erase job?  If it fails claiming the media is write protected and you know the media is not physically write protected, they I suspect you have a hardware drive failure.

altior
Level 2
Hi, I tried every kind of erase job I could think of and nothing worked even though all read jobs worked fine. I eventually swapped the drive and backups are working fine now so it must have been hardware failure. Thanks

Daniel_Cloutier
Not applicable
I'm installing a new server, Win server2008 standard, Backup Exec 12.5.
HP Ultrium LTO 1 tape drive.
I'm having the same issue as you did.
The HP Storageworks tape tool utility shows that all media are write protected even if they are not.

Did you ever find a solution ?

TIA