cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1324 on Eval 11d install

Matt_Browne
Level 2
We are getting an error on the Eval install of BackExec 11d for windows servers. It reads:

Error 1324. The path Program FIles contains an invalid character.

We are installing it on a newly installed 2003 server with all the latest updates.
We haven't changed the install path from the default 'Program Files' directory but I have tried it with a different path, but with the same error appearing.
We are using all the default install options.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks

Matt
11 REPLIES 11

Steve_Broomell
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
What part of the install are you getting the error (what is on the screen other than the error message)? What language is the OS? What is the language locale (under Control Panel | Regional and Language Options)? During the install, are you selecting a existing SQL 2000 or 2005 instance for the BEDB instance instead of letting BE install SQL Express? Is SQL 2000 or 2005 local or remote?

If you run the Environement checker that comes with BEWS 11, are any errors or warnings reported?

Matt_Browne
Level 2
>>What part of the install are you getting the error (what is on the screen other than the error message)?

Start the Backup Exec Installation
-> Next on the wizard
-> 'I Agree' and Next
-> Select Local Install and 'Install Backup Exec Software and Options', Next
-> Environment Check reports DHCP warning (it has a dynamic address), Terminal Services (I'm using remote desktop to do the install) and Symantec Antivirus (there is no AV installed at present).
-> Next
-> Next and 'OK' to use the eval license
-> Next to accept install the default options
-> User name and password etc for admin user, Next
-> Select 'Use an existing SQL server and select the server name, Next
-> Select 'Use Symantec device drivers
-> Read the Overview and Click Next
-> "Loading Install. Please wait....."
-> Wait a few moments untill it gets to the 'Cretaing Folders' stage and the error appears.

>>What language is the OS?

All Language options are set to English (United Kingdom)

>>What is the language locale (under Control Panel | Regional and Language Options)?

English (United Kingdom)

>>During the install, are you selecting a existing SQL 2000 or 2005 instance

Yes, we are using the SQL 2005 option.

>>Is SQL 2000 or 2005 local or remote?

Remote, but on the same LAN

>> If you run the Environement checker that comes with BEWS 11, are any errors or warnings reported?

See above.

Cheers

MattMessage was edited by:
Matt Browne

Steve_Broomell
Level 4
One more question: Are the computers 32 or 64 bit?

Steve_Broomell
Level 4
It looks like a problem with connecting to the remote SQL instance. Installing Backup Exec to a local SQL instance (preferable letting Backup Exec install SQL Express) should work around the issue.

Matt_Browne
Level 2
It's running the 32 Bit 2003 Server.

Ok, I'll try a local SQL install and see how it goes.

Cheers

Matt_Browne
Level 2
The local Installed SQL worked just fine. I will stick with that for now and work out what the remote SQL problems are later.

Many Thanks for your help.

John_Moody
Level 2
Has anyone resolved this yet? I should be able to specify a SQL Server (especially when I paid over $4500.00 for the licensing) for my installation of BUE 11d.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
It is my understanding that you have never been able to use a remote SQL server to store the BE database.

John_Moody
Level 2
That's not acceptable. Why is it an option then?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi John,

The Windows API which lists SQL servers is generic. It is giving you an option to choose a local SQL server.
If this is not acceptable, the option is to choose a local MSDE install.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
It is possible to use a remote SQL installation; however, obviously this adds a level of complexity to the environment that may not be worth the benefit.