cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Could not start Pre Job Command

bsarazin
Level 3

Error: Could not start Pre Job Command
The job history says The system cannot find the file specified.

The prejob script is located at C:\be_prejob.bat on the server I am backing up
I call this script for the pre-command.

I do not understand why it cannot find the file.
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

try putting it into a folder that is part of the search path and then just specify the file name instead of the C:\

Also try naming the bat file as a cmd file

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

First specify the absolute path the CMD file in the job setup

Also, when the Pre/Post jobs run, there is no environment, so all commands in your job must have absolute paths specified, or else the first line in the CMD file should be

PATH=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX;  YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY; ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should place your pre-command batch job in the BE installation directory, normally c:\program files\symantec\backup exe\ and not in the drive root directory.

bsarazin
Level 3
I would like to be able to run the bat files on the server I am backing up. I have place the bat files in the Backup Exec installation directory on that machine (C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec).

I can get the pre and post commands to run on the Backup Exec Server but not on the remote machine.

also, I am looking at some documentation that says the pre command needs the following arguments: <BAT FILE> <JOB NAME> <VM NAME>.

I would like an example of a pre command to be run on a remote machine, if anyone has one.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The pre- and post- commands are executed on the media server, not on the remote server.  If you want to execute a program on a remote server, then you need to put in the full path of the program, e.g. \\ServerA\c:\Program files\Directory A\program_A.exe where ServerA is the remote server.  Also, the BESA needs have have the necessary permission to read and execute the program on the remote server.  Whatever commands or programs included in a batch file would also have to be properly qualified.

Before using the batch file as a pre-command, you should test it by executing it from the media server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can tell BackupExec to execute the Pre/Post command on the Media Server or all Remote Servers backedup in the job (see the Admin Guide page 342

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I am aware of this fact.  Perhaps execute is a poor choice of word.  I should have said invoke or triggered.