cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Physical Volume Library Robot not found - Please Help

Michama
Level 3

Hello,

I recived this error while performing a Cleanup task for the Backup Tape.

I use a backup tape - TANDBERG TS 400

and I have no entries in the "Robot" section in the Device tab.

Server Details:

Windows 2003 STD SP2 32 Bit

Symantec BackupExec 12 Rev 1364

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Best regards,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To clean a stand-alone tape drive, you just put in a cleaning tape.  It will run for a while and then would eject.  That's it.  You don't have to do anything on BE.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see both the tape drive and medium changer in the Windows Device manager.

Michama
Level 3

Yes I see the Tape.

I do not see the Medium changer since I replace cassetes manually :)

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

So its a standalone device, are you facing issue only while running a cleaning job.

Michama
Level 3

Yes this is a stand alone device.

and yes i have issues with backup errors but they are mostly because of data changes.

I recieved a cleanup notification, so i guess after 3 years it is time to clean the tape.

Michael

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To clean a stand-alone tape drive, you just put in a cleaning tape.  It will run for a while and then would eject.  That's it.  You don't have to do anything on BE.

Michama
Level 3

Thanks A lot

Michama
Level 3

Hi,

I was too optimistic.

I recieved this error:

Final error: 0xe0008113 - Physical Volume Library Robot not found.
Final error category: Backup Device ErrorsCompleted status: Failed

Michama
Level 3

I also see the following error in the Alerts section:

Critical - The tape drive needs cleaning:

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have just cleaned your tape drive and it is still asking to be cleaned, then it is probably something wrong with the drive.

You should run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the drive.  Make sure that you stopped all the BE services before running the utility and select the write test.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're getting cleaning alerts on a constant basis now, it means 1 of 2 things:

1. Your cleaning tape has been used up and is no longer functioning properly.

2. Your hardware has an error...

In this case I'd check the Devices tab in BE, and clicking on your device will open up a split window. Check for any Hard Write Errors. If there are, see if there is a diagnostic utility to run against your device and look for hardware errors. Replace the drive if there is confirmation there-of.

Thanks!

Michama
Level 3

Thanks,

The Cleaning casette is new.

I also got this error:

Backup- \\SRV\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

WARNING: "\\SRV\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SRV)" is a corrupt file. 
This file cannot verify.

Do you thinks it is comming from the server OS or Tape ? are these errors corelate with the cleaning issue in your opinion ?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I've seen this happen with a faulty drive...I'd suggest getting hold of the manufacturer's diagnostic utility and run it against the drive to rule out hardware errors.