cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code E00084F4 Unknown Error has Occurred

paulbm1
Level 2

I have been backing up Microsoft SBS, Exchange Server & SQL to an LTO2 device using Backup Exec 2010 without any major problems.

Since my data requirements grew beyong the capacity of the unit, I have started using an LTO3 400GB-800GB device for backing up my servers still using Backup Exec 2010.

I am now getting the above error. My backup ran last night for 2.5 hours and backed up 63GB out of 310, when it suddenly failed with the E00084F4 error.

The only reference I can find on the Symantic website, references this but doing a Backup to disk folders. As I am not doing this, I was wondering if anybody else was getting this error message, and what the resolution to the error is.

I am using:

Backup Exec 2010 

Media Server Version 13.0 Rev 2896 (64-bit)

I look forward to hearing from anybody re this most frustrating problem

Many thanks

Paul

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Paul,

Upgrade to BE 2010 R3. You can use your current licenses. Run LiveUpdate a couple of times and install all the available patches (SP1 and about 4 new patches)...1 of these is the latest DDI driver package.

Run the Device Configuration Wizard to install the latest Symantec drivers for the tape drive and run the backup again.

Just make sure there are no hardware faults being indicates on the drive too...

Just grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders BEFORE doing the upgrade in case something goes wrong. You can use your current license keys. Please post back with an update on whether or not it was resolved...

Thanks!

fbarbosa
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Just to complete Paul comment's I  leave the technote for upgrade the version:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148394

Regards.

paulbm1
Level 2

Hi

I have upgraded to the lates version and run live update a couple of times to make sure i'm not missing anything. The only change seems to be the Desktop and Laptop Option changed from Version 3.1 Rev. 3.42.44a to 3.42.44.48b

Ran the backup last night but unfortunately it failed with error "e00000445 media operation terminated by user", which isn't the case. Also had the E00084F4 error.

Not sure what to do next, any suggestions would be greatly accepted.

Thanks

Paul

Dharmarp
Level 3
Employee Accredited

For "E00084F4" error message you can refer to the below tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144141

Regards

Dharmaraju Paila

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have upgraded to the lates version and run live update a couple of times to make sure i'm not missing anything. The only change seems to be the Desktop and Laptop Option changed from Version 3.1 Rev. 3.42.44a to 3.42.44.48b

Go to Help ---> About.  If you do not see BE 2010 R3, then you are not on the latest version.

To upgrade to BE 2010 R3, you need to download the installation DVD from either fileconnect or www.backupexec.com and then install R3 from there.  You cannot upgrade to R3 using LiveUpdate.

Do make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory before running the upgrade.  Your existing licence keys will work.

After upgrading to R3, run LU a couple of times so that you will get SP1 and a couple of hotfixes.