cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e00084f4, but backing up to autoloader, not folder, at random points

Bill_Beeskow
Level 2
Hello!

Problem is getting error e00084f4, but backing up to HP Autoloader 1/8, not folder, at random points. Some times the backup is successful. But more often not.

The history of this machine:

Stage 1: A Dell PowerEdge 1650 with dual IDE drives, adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller connected to HP Autoloader 1/8 C9264CB-VS80, Windows NT Server 4.0 and Backup Exec 8.6 with OFO, Exchange, and SQL clients. Worked flawlessly.

Stage 2: Upgraded to Windows Server 2003. Everything continued to work flawlessly until about May 2005 (possibly happened after Windows Update since no other changes were made to system).

Stage 3: Replaced Adaptec 2940UW with Adaptec 29160LP. First backup worked fine, but others failed with SCSI timeout errors, 7 and 9. Checked support kb and determined that BUE 8.6 was not guaranteed to work with WS2k3.

Stage 4: Downloaded BUE v10 trial and now get error e00084f4, but that seems to deal with backing up to disk, not a tape autoloader. I've applied all the updates.

When I look in Device Manager and check on the medium changer driver it shows 'unknown', which I understand is what BUE requires. Also, the backup utility that comes with WS2k3 does not recognize the autoloader (probably because of my previous statement). The KB also says that the autoloader is supported/tested with the latest release.

Any other things for me to check on this?

Thanks.

Bill
2 REPLIES 2

Bill_Beeskow
Level 2
Time to hit pause. An HPT DLT IV tape shredded in the autochanger last night. Awaiting decision to fix or replace.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us on this issue.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278434

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.