cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which licenses do I need for BE 2014?

Ben_Wicks
Level 2

Hi,

I have been using the trial for Backup Exec 2014 and am about to buy the licenses required to carry on using it.

The systems and applications I will be backing up are as follows:

Windows Server 2012 R2 (This is where I have installed BE 2014)
- Files
- Active Directory
- SQL Server 2014
- Hyper-V which contains an Exchange 2013 instance

Windows XP (Physical machine)
- Files

This will all be written to an HP tape autoloader with 8 tapes.

I'm a bit confused about which agent licenses I need so I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ben,

the Symantec licensing department is the final authority on licensing, but you should need the following:

1. Nothing for the autoloader unless it has 2 drives (which it shouldn't!) in it...BE covers the tape drive with the media server license.

2. RAWS agent for the Windows XP machine.

3. for the Windows Server 2012 R2 server:

* 1 x Media server license

* 1 x Active Directory agent (assuming you want to do a GRT backup/restore of AD)

* 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases for SQL

* 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases for Exchange

If you're only running 1 VM on Hyper-V, then getting the Hyper-V agent might not be worth it, unless you want to do full restores of the VM itself.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, but checking the BE 2014 SCL I saw Windows XP is no longer supported. You might get around this by doing a nightly backup to the file server and then backing up that file when you backup the file server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ben,

the Symantec licensing department is the final authority on licensing, but you should need the following:

1. Nothing for the autoloader unless it has 2 drives (which it shouldn't!) in it...BE covers the tape drive with the media server license.

2. RAWS agent for the Windows XP machine.

3. for the Windows Server 2012 R2 server:

* 1 x Media server license

* 1 x Active Directory agent (assuming you want to do a GRT backup/restore of AD)

* 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases for SQL

* 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases for Exchange

If you're only running 1 VM on Hyper-V, then getting the Hyper-V agent might not be worth it, unless you want to do full restores of the VM itself.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, but checking the BE 2014 SCL I saw Windows XP is no longer supported. You might get around this by doing a nightly backup to the file server and then backing up that file when you backup the file server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You might want to take a look at the Small Business edition which covers your setup. It will be cheaper than getting individual agent licenses and it includes a Hyper-V license so you can backup your VM as a VM. See the Licencing guide below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

Ben_Wicks
Level 2

Thanks for your answers. I think I will go with what CraigV says as it will leave us more room for expansion in the future.

Windows XP may no longer be "officially" supported but the trial version of BE 2014 is doing a great job of backing up the files on it anyway!

Thanks again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It may work for now but when it does not, you are on your own

Ben_Wicks
Level 2

Of course, if it stops working I'm happy to do as suggested and backup to the main server.

Thanks.