cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error installing SP1 for BE 10.0 5520

Jim_Willson
Level 3
When I try to install SP1 for BE 10.0 5520 I get an error at the end of the installation stating that there was an error, and the installation is rolled back.

Windows event log:

Product: VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Update '{FCD972F9-E88C-4D38-B170-0242CDB99CE9}' could not be installed. Error code 1603.

Last few lines of bkupinst.log:

01-06-2006,13:52:58 : Attaching BEDB to SQL Server.
01-06-2006,13:52:58 : EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'd:\sql-data\MSSQL\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'
01-06-2006,13:52:58 : ERROR: Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf' may be incorrect.

sql:EXEC sp_attach_db 'BEDB',@filename1 = N'd:\sql-data\MSSQL\data\BEDB_Dat.mdf', @filename2 = N'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_Log.ldf'

01-06-2006,13:53:01 : Rolling back stop of BE services.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Jim
7 REPLIES 7

William_Geater
Level 3
I had this same problem of the installer making up the path to the SQL log (ldf) file. I detached the BE database, and moved the LDF file to the folder indicated in the error message and re-attached the DB. After that, the install ran fine, after which I detached the DB again, placed the files where I wanted them, and reattached them and all is well.

HTH!

Jim_Willson
Level 3
Very good news indeed! Now for the stupid question, how to I detach and reattach the database?

TIA!

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

1. Search for the Data.cab file in the installation directory (WINNT\INSTALL\BE\Data.cab)

2. Extract BEDB_Dat.mdf and BEDB_Log.ldf files (Note: from the Data.cab file )

3. Copy these files to X:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\

4. Reboot the server if the server has not been rebooted after the previous installation failure

5. Run the installation again

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jim_Willson
Level 3
The two files you mention do not exist in the data.cab file. There are only two files that start with the letter B, BE_DLO.mdf.FBF6AB5B_373C_4CD4_B277_E08D4D444E2C and BE_DLO_log.LDF.FBF6AB5B_373C_4CD4_B277_E08D4D444E2C

Thank you.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the steps given below
1.Go to Start | Run

2. Type REGEDIT and press to open the Registry Editor
Note: Incorrect use of the Windows Registry Editor can have disastrous results on a server operating system. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows Registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the Registry Editor application.

3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\BEDatabase\Server Database Log Path. If the key does not exist, create one as follows
a. Right-click on BEDatabase, select New | String Value, and enter the name Server Database Log Path . Type the path of the BEDB_Log.ldf file, where the path of the Database log file will be the path of the BEDB_Log.ldf . Eg. If SQL is installed on the D drive with the default directory structure, add to the above registry the following path.

D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Jim_Willson
Level 3
Thank you for the reply. I am not at work today, but will try this tomorrow.

Jim_Willson
Level 3
I have followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! Thank you for the help.