cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when DLO agent wants to save Outlook .pst files - Access is denied

S_bastien_RODRI
Level 2
The situation:
- 1 have installed the DLO option on BE version 10.0 rev. 5520. DLO version 2.0.3.
- about 20 users are created in the DLO administration.
- they have all the same DLO profile
- in this profile, incremental backups of Outlook pst files is enabled
- these 20 users have all their own laptop, and they have only user (or power users) privileges on their laptop. They have Windows 2000 O.S. or Windows XP
- Everybody use Outlook 2003. They load Outlook 2000-2002 pst files, and also Outlook 2003 pst.files (Unicode)
- All the users have their .pst files in the "D:\Outlook archives" folder of their laptop
- the users have active directory domain accounts, and they have the same rights

With 7 of the 20 laptops, when the DLO agent tries to backup the .pst files, we have the following error:

"D:\Oulook archives\myarchive.pst FAILED to copy to the network data folder. Access is denied"

Some remarks:
- we have the problem with Outlook 2000-2002 .pst files and with the Outlook 2003 .pst files
- the NTFS rights are OK on the "D:\Outlook archives" folder and on the DLO network data folder
- we have the same problem if Outlook 2003 is opened OR if Outlook 2003 is closed
- we have the problem even if i give Administrative rights to the user
- we have the problem on the Windows XP laptops and on the Windows 2000 laptops
- i have myself the DLO agent on my laptop. If i make a copy of the .pst file of a user that has the problem, i can open the file and DLO can backup up it (no error!)
- if i connect myself with common user rights on the laptop of one of the users that has the problem, and if i open the .pst file in Outlook, the backup works!
- if i delete the user Windows profile, and if we recreate it, we have always the problem.
- we have neither error in the event viewer of the BE server nor the laptop
- the "D:\work" folder of the users that have the problem (that contains Excel files and Word files) is correctly saved by DLO

Do you have any suggestion?Message was edited by:
Sébastien RODRIGUES
6 REPLIES 6

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

For the users for which you have mentioned it is working please check the rights please compare and verify why it is not working for other users.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

S_bastien_RODRI
Level 2
Hello,

no, they all have the same permissions. And I think that it can not be rights problems:
- their Word or Excel files are well saved;
- some of them have a part of the .pst files that are correctly saved, and a part that can not be saved (with the "Access is denied" error).

Some new informations:
- we installed a new laptop for a user that has the problem.
- we installed Windows XP SP2, Office 2003 and DLO on this laptop.
- We put the files of the user on the laptop: Excel files, .pst files, etc.

And we have always the same problem!

Regards,

SebastienMessage was edited by:
Sébastien RODRIGUES

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems the problem occurs on around 7 client posts and not the others. Do you have any other application installed on these 7 posts that does not exist on the others? Ensure that the default logon account in backup exec has Full control access to the Network user data folder. If not, give these permissions and then test the results.

Do update on the above.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

S_bastien_RODRI
Level 2
No, these seven users have the same applications than the others (only classic office automation applications like Office 2003, Acrobat reader...). And i confirm that the default logon account in BackupExec has Full control access to the Network user data folder.

Seb

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Sébastien!

Is it possible that the machine being backed up has the ability in the NIC power management to turn the NIC off to save power? Or is the user running the hibernation or standby feature?

Technotes for info:

How to configure Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option to perform incremental backups of Outlook .pst files
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268078.htm

When Desktop and Laptop Option is configured to perform incremental backups of Outlook PST files and there are a large number of messages changing, the messages may not back up in low memory conditions until Desktop and Laptop Option is restarted.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270049.htm

Were these documents helpful?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

S_bastien_RODRI
Level 2
Sorry but we have no NIC power management to turn the NIC off to save power. The hibernation is also disabled. We have the error 2 or 3 seconds after the closing of Outlook (for example).

Another information:
One of my users had a problem on a .pst files called "Archive.pst". I did a repair of this file with the Microsoft tools (scandisk + scanpst). After the repair, we had always the problem. So i created a new archive called "new_archive.pst", and i transfered all the emails from "archive.pst" to "new_archive.pst". And here, "new_archive.pst" is saved!
Then in Outlook, i closed "archive.pst" that was empty. And "archive.pst" was saved!

I think that something locks some of the archives, even if Outlook is closed... It is not the antivirus (we stopped it). And when DLO tries to save this archive already "opened" (locked), the error occurs.

Seb