cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconfiguration for new server

Ken_Wallewein
Level 4
Partner
This is a single-tape-drive setup, non-robotic.
My old server, running BE 9, is running low on RAM, speed, and projected lifetime. I have a new, fast server where all the important data will be stored, and I'll probably just keep the old one as a secondary domain controller. I'd like to keep the tape drive there too, for now. I'd also like to upgrade to BE10. So I have several related questions, and the answers don't seem easy to find.

1. Does BE10 use much more CPU or RAM than BE 9?
2. I'm thinking it would make sense to make the new server the main BE server, and just keep the tape drive on the old server. Would that allow me to just run the old server as a media server? Would that significantly reduce the RAM and CPU load on it?
3. I've seen the discussion on moving BE to another server. I presume I'd follow that process, then remove BE9 from the old server and install BE10 media server on it. Should I upgrade to BE10 befire, during or after the move?
4. Does a media server always have a management console? If not, would it make sense to install one on the older server? It's convenient for checking media and job status when changing tapes.
5. What processes/services run on a media server?

/kenw
6 REPLIES 6

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Backup exe 9.1and 10.0 need around 256 MB RAM, however it is recommended to have 512 MB or more for better performance. BE 10 does not use more RAM. In fact the RAM requirements may vary depending on the operations performed,the options installed and the specific machine configuration.

2. In backup exec, the device has to be physically attached to the media server. You can alternately use external backup to disk folders or NAS.

3. It will be a better idea to upgrade the current 9.1 server to 10, you will be able to get all the jobs,media confi etcc. Later you can use the copy media server config utility to move it to another 10.0 server. Refer to the following technote that will guide you in this regard:

Title: How to copy media server configuration to a file and apply the copied media server configuration
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274778

4.The management console needs to be of the same version.

5. The media server has a backup exec SQL instance installed during installation (if you choose to), some service like remote agent, device and media, agent browser, server service.

In order to get more details, you can refer to the administrator's manual for 10.0 which you can download from the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ken_Wallewein
Level 4
Partner
Thank you regarding the resource concerns. It sounds like I should upgrade the old server to BE10 before moving things. Moving, however, is still an issue. I'm not at all clear on how to go about downgrading the old server to a media server and moving everything else to the new server.

I think we could use some clarification here. I've looked for a definition of the term "media server" and haven't found one. Do you know of one? Is there a distinction between "media server" and what you get by default when you install a new copy of BE (whatever that's called)?

I was assuming it would be a server with the device attached, and only sufficient BE software to accept data and write it to that device. Does a media server also have to run a full BE installation including job scheduling, database, catalogs, etc.? That would seem odd, as I was under the impression a BE installation could have multiple media servers.

I was trying to minimize the amount of BE software that would have to run on the old server, and run everything else (scheduling, database, etc.) on the new server. Can I not do that?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Simply put, a media server is a server on which backup exec is installed.
Regarding you second concern, you can administer Backup exec remotely by installing the BEWAC (Backup exec Web admin console). Refer to chapter 16 on page 721 in the administrator's guide for more information on this.

Hope this helps you. In case you need further clarifications, revert to the forums.

Regards.

Ken_Wallewein
Level 4
Partner
> Simply put, a media server is a server on which backup exec is installed.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that every media server has its own scheduler and can only be scheduled separately, maintains its own catalogs, its own logs, etc.?

And are you saying, then, that there is no way to use BE to administer backups on multiple tape drives attached to separate servers, other than to remotely administer them as separate installations?

If that's the case, then, in my instance, there's no point in installing BE (other than the remote agent) on any server that doesn't have a backup drive (e.g., tape drive) directly attached.

Am I correct in all of this?

BTW, not sure what you mean by "revert to the forums". Isn't that what I'm doing now?

/kenw

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Yes Backup Exec on every server has its own scheduler and database

>And are you saying, then, that there is no way to use BE to administer backups on multiple tape drives attached to separate servers, other than to remotely administer them as separate installations?

We assume you are talking of a scenario wherein multiple servers have tape drives attached to them locally.

10.0 does offer an option of CASO and MMS servers wherein CASO is the Central Administration Server which as the name suggests is used for administration of other servers which have Backup Exec installed on them. These servers are termed as Managed Media Servers (MMS ) and job can be fired onto these servers from the CASO server.

You can also decide whether all the job logs and catalogsshould be stored centrally.

The CASO option is a paid option in Backup Exec 10.0.

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ken_Wallewein
Level 4
Partner
Now I understand, thank you very much.

Somehow it seems like this should have been easier. Is there a document somewhere that outlines this kind of thing -- the overall architecture of BE and its options?