cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluating 11d - a couple general questions

Chris_Starmer
Not applicable
I have a customer who backs up to disk using 9.1. This causes large backup files for each day to be created and they're running out of disk space.

I am told that 11d can backup once to disk then augment this with any changes, a bit like the offsite backup product I use.

I'm looking at 11d (in fact I've installed it twice in a basic way) and can't really see a big difference in the way it works from 9 or 10.

I think maybe it's called "synthetic" backup in symantec terms.

Does anyone know the theory of how you use backup exec to achieve efficient disk to disk to tape style backups.

Is there a white paper somewhere ?

(Mind you, after reading the comments on the forum I am going to tread very carefully !).

Chris
2 REPLIES 2

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Chris

Backup Exec 11d does B2D in a very similar way as version 9. Main difference is that whith version 11d you can preallocate the size of the bkf files on disk, losing space but also getting no fragmentation as before.

What you say, that is, the ability of backing up just the modified portions of the files, is not performed by Backup Exec, but by an add-on product, Continuous Protection Server, or CPS. It is a replication software (based on Veritas Replication Exec), that you can license as an option to Backup Exec and sends data over any network in the way you said (even it lets you manage the bandwidth to be used).

Synthetic backups are a technology implemented with the Advanced Disk Based Backup Option (ADBO) that basically let consolidate a full plus incremental backup into a new full, without accesing the agents on the networks and thus faster than a full backup would take.

Hope this helps, regards

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank you,

Shweta