cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID: 58117 - The application failed to listen on the NDMP TCP/IP port.

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
One of my servers (Windows 2003 Server Appliance Edition) is returning this error everytime I reboot this shows in the Event Log for BackupExec.

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers Service did not start.  The application failed to listen on the NDMP TCP/IP port.  Check the network configuration.

When I try to manually start the Remote Agent via Services I get:  Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectidly.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same error.  I have also checked netstat and port 10000 is not in use.  This  computer had been a 2nd AD Controller, but was demoted.

Any ideas on what could be configured incorrectly?

Message Edited by Drew Gossage on 05-15-200709:13 AM

8 REPLIES 8

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Let's try changing the NDMP port to see if we can get the service started.  Open the folling file with notepad:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

First of all, search the file for 'NDMP' to make sure that the port hasn't already been changed from 10,000.  If not put the following entry at the end of the file

NDMP   11000/tcp

Make sure to do enter at the end of that line or the change will not take affect.  After that, go ahead and try to start the remote agent.

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
There was not a line item for NDMP so I added it at port 10000, rebooted and got the same error.  I then changed it to 11000, rebooted and still got the error.  I changed it back to 10000.

SteveVRTS
Level 6
A few things.
1.  A reboot is not required when making changes to the services file
2.  Did you make sure to hit enter at the end of the line where you added the NDMP entry?
3.  Are you sure that you don't have any firewall software or something like that installed on the machine that might be blocking the port?

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
I did hit enter after adding the NDMP Entry and there is not a firewall installed on this server.  The Windows Firewall/ICS service is disabled.  I tested starting that service and making sure the Windows Firewall was set to off and still got the error.

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
Thread Bump

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
Does anyone have any other ideas on this issue?  I really need to get the Remote Agent working on this server as it is our file server.

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
Still need some help on this one.  Thread Bump.

Drew_Gossage
Level 4
Fixed it!

Had to run 'NETSTAT -ano' to see all open ports on the server, which did show 10000 in use.  Matched the PID shown from the netstat to Task Manager and it was svchost.exe.  Then had to use TCPView (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx) to see what the command line for the service host was.  It was IIS, not sure why it was listening on port 10000 as no webpages had been configured.  Disabled IIS completely and reinstalled Remote Agent.

Works like a charm now.