cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyday - The Backup to Disk Device is Offline - It is not.

Jamie_Moore
Level 2
Every day we have the same problem. Our nightly backups do not run because the Backup Exec Software says that "The Backup to Disk Device is Offline" and has an alert that is displayed in the software and also a posting in Event Viewer. I will post that info below. The problem seems to stem from the fact that when we change the media, Windows 2003 Server can see the new media but Symantec Backup Exec cannot see the media for some reason and therefore marks it offline in the Devices screen.

Here is what we have:
Symantec Backup Exec 10d for Windows Servers
Fully patched.
Windows 2003 Server (fully patched).
This is basically a dedicated backup server.

This server actually backs up other servers on our network using Remote Agents (they always have connectivity and that is not the problem).

Our backup media is actually removable hard drives in a Drive Caddy layout. Therefore we use hard drives to backup our data to, not tapes. Every day our staff turn off the drive with a key, pull it out of the server, put a new drive in and turn the key again to enable the hard drive. Windows sees the new drive every time and it is fully accessible.

We change the drive around 4:00pm each day and the backup job starts at 10:00pm each night.

The problem is that when the drive is replaced on a daily basis, Windows 2003 Server sees the changed drive automatically and it is accessible but the Backup Exec software cannot seem to see the drive so it marks it offline and the only way to resolve this is to right click on the drive on the Media screen and select ONLINE. Then the backup starts and processes normally. This means that we always require user intervention to get a backup to work. What is even more annoying is that we cannot do anything in Symantec Backup Exec until the backup job starts because only then does it say that the device is OFFLINE. This includes shutting down and restarting the Backup Exec software.

Here are the errors that we get:

Active Alert - The Backup-to-Disk device is offline.
This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.
The event id listed is: 58057.

Windows Event Viewer - Application Log.
Basically the same working with event id: 58057.

Does anybody have a solution to this? I am beginning to think that the only option is for me to start the backups early, during the work day and wait for that error and then have a user manually fix it. This would not be an optimal solution obviously.

If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, there is no way around manual intervention with with Removable B2D folders.

Are your job(s) pointed at a specific folder or at a pool containing all the folders?

Have you tried using the Removeable Media wizard?

Is each physical Disk mounted at the same drive letter each time that it is mounted (Disk1 on R: Disk2 onS: etc?)

Jamie_Moore
Level 2
Hi! Thank you for the response. That is too bad about the manual intervention.

To answer your questions:

My job is pointed to a pool containing all folders.

I have not tried looking at Reomveable Media wizard. I will give it a try.

Yes the disks are mounted with the same drive letter each time.

Thanks again!