cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex2003 Flat File Backup

Andrew_Osborn
Level 3
Hi

We have MS Ex2k3 enterprise which we use for storing information just in the Public Folders. Currently the PUB1.edb and transaction logs come in at 300GB and take aroung 20 hrs to backup doing a bricks-level backup.

We have a third-party tool for extracting the data from edbs so its not problem.

Is there anyway to just do a flat-file backup instead?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Stop doing the brick level and just do Stores backups

if you can extract individual mailboxes and or EMails from a stores backup with your 3rd party tool, why bother with brick level?

Andrew_Osborn
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Ken.
What I've done tonight is stop all the exchange services, backed up exchsrvr\mdbdata and exchsrvr\mdblogs then just restarted the services.

Is this the best way of doing it?

If I were to not stop the services would the backup still work?

BE 9.1 is on one server and connects to the server with the public folders through the remote agent. If I use pre and post commands do the batch files for the Pre and Post job commands need to sit on the server I'm backing up from (with the public folders) or do they go on the server with the BE9.1 on?

ThanksMessage was edited by:
Andrew Osborn

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Andrew,

This definitely isn't the best way to do it.

- The restoreability isn't guaranteed
- Your method is not supported
- There are no integrity checks on it
- You experience downtime

As Ken said, select "Exchange Information Store" and then both your public and private stores.

This is what the Exchange Agent was designed for. It will take a proper backup of it whilst running and you won't ahve to worry.

Andrew_Osborn
Level 3
Do I not need to select Microsoft Exchange Public Folders in the selection list just Microsoft Information Store with First Storage Group selected?

Thanks

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Yes, just select the store where your public folders are stored.

Regards
A van der Boom

Mike_Haluski_2
Level 2
Everything I've read about Disaster Recovery on Exchange is that brick level backup is definately NOT the way to go. I would believe this is especially true on E2k3 where you have the Storage Recovery Group available too you. I think you might find this read worthwhile:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx

Hope this helps.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Andrew,

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.