cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exabyte VXA-2 Firmeware upgrade created a dulpicate device in Backup Exec

Ian_Ricketson
Level 2
I upgraded the firmware on my Exabyte VXA-2 1U Autoloader and now there are two EXABYTE devices in Backup Exec.

Under Robotic Libraries, I have the original one with the OLD firmware listed. In the drive properties it shows Firmware version 2100.

Under "Stand Alone Drives" it shows a new device. This one has the correct Firmware, 2109.

I tried to drag the drive from the Stand-Alone group to the Robot Library group but it won't let me. I don't know how to get rid of the old drive and replace it with the new drive.

Now that there are two drives, the old one (listed under robotic library) is randomly going offline and the backup does not work on that drive. All jobs have the following error even when Backup Exec shows it as online:

-- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Driv e or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

There has to be a conflict here and I think that is because the drive is supposed to have 2109 as the firmware version, that is the correct Firmware on the autoloader itself.

Note: I did check and made sure that my SCSIChanger driver is loaded.

How can I get the new drive to replace the old drive?

I am currently running Backup Exec 9.1 SP3 and have the latest driver package (45) installed.
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Perform the following steps:
1.Go to the properties tab of both the drives
2. configuration tab and uncheck the option 'enable device for backup'.
3. Once you disable the device from under robotic library and stand alone drives, delete the two devices.
4. Restart all the backup exec services.
5. Now go to the devices tab and check if the incorrect device had disappeared or not.
6. Run an Inventory operation on the deivce.

7. Install the latest Veritas device drivers from the following link:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, revert with the following details:
What is the SCSI ID for the device? How does Windows device manager show the device?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Ian_Ricketson
Level 2
When I attempt to delete the device under the robotic library, the option is greyed out (even after it is disabled). Even after I remove it from being able to be used by backup exec, the checkbox next to "Enabled" when I right click on it is still there. I tried to disable it that way too and the check will not go away.

Note: I was able to disable and delete the stand alone device.

What can I do?Message was edited by:
Ian Ricketson

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please do a repair database and then verify:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Also please check the device configuration with the help of the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.